Altec 511B and JBL 2426 for K Horn - good combo?

Chris,

Do you mean a 2426 driver? I haven't found a 2526 driver anywhere.

If so, the 2426 uses a titanium diaphragm, and really shouldn't be used lower than 500Hz. Some say is is a little harsh, but hey, it's a JBL and they really make great stuff. Drops like a rock over 15K as well, but if you still use a tweeter, that isn't an issue.

Bruce

Chris,

If you mean the JBL 2426h driver, I say avoid it unless you plan to use it ONLY as a midrange. I used it on a 511b and on 811b horns. I am now using 2426h drivers on my Trachorns. They have a continuous drop in response as you go up in frequency. You need to cross them over at 6 KHz if you use them for a squawker.

Bruse,

When used full-range they sound quite dull, not harsh.

Al K.

----------------

On 7/8/2005 12:40:17 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Chris,

If you mean the JBL 2426h driver, I say avoid it unless you plan to use it ONLY as a midrange. I used it on a 511b and on 811b horns. I am now using 2426h drivers on my Trachorns. They have a continuous drop in response as you go up in frequency. You need to cross them over at 6 KHz if you use them for a squawker.

Bruse,

When used full-range they sound quite dull, not harsh.

Al K.

----------------

Al,

Yes, I meant the 2426 (or the older 2425). I plan on using it as a midrange for my K Horns with your Type A networks, so the response needed will be 400 hz to 5800 hz.

I already have K55's and I am wondering if I will see an improvement by going to the JBL. I am using Baby Cheeks fro tweeters.

Chris

----------------

On 7/8/2005 1:33:23 PM Marvel wrote:

I think it would be a stretch to cross over that low (400). What crossover are you using? You could have a try with these Seleniums:

I like the JBL stuff, but these aren't bad drivers either.
----------------

I am using Al's Type A's (will upgrade to ESN's).

Back to the original question. Will the JBL's (or the Seleniums) be a good UPGRADE from the K55's?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

When I replace my K55v drivers (soler terminal version) to the 2426h I noticed a slightly cleaner sound but it was not nearly as dramatic an improvement is moving from the K500 horn to the Altec 511 horn. I would also not use the 2426h on a Khorn crossed at 400 Hz with only a 6 dB / octave network. I think there is too much danger of smashing the diaphragm into the phase plug. I would only use them with the extreme-slope network.

Al K.

----------------

On 7/8/2005 1:33:23 PM Marvel wrote:

I think it would be a stretch to cross over that low (400). What crossover are you using? You could have a try with these Seleniums:

I like the JBL stuff, but these aren't bad drivers either.
----------------

Marvel,

Have you compared the Selenium driver to the K55? How does it compare?

Chris

Warning! That's a 2" throat 4-bolt driver, although it could be used in a 1" throat horn via an adaptor.

I have the Selenium D-305 phenolic and when I upgrade, the D-408TI is a reasonable choice. Based on the cheap ones I have now, they are smooth and reliable, even at the 400Hz crossover point, which I used to use.

DM

Yes, in the HF.

The suspension has so little freedom that they sound kind of 'tight' when crossed over low. Testing was done at the 100mW level and they sounded much better when the crossover point was raaised to 650hz. Horns tried were JBL 2380A, 2397, 2350, EV HP940, HP640. The HP640 was judged to sound the best, but the JBL 2380A was used because of size limitations.

Despite the extra problems, I prefer a two-way top end (a tweeter). The drivers may be chosen for best MF without considering the HF, and the HF selected for best VHF without considering the MF.