false corner construction

Rudy81

What do you guys think of this false corner idea. Creating the corners as the Dope from Hope article suggests, but using 3/4 inch plywood on the inside, 2x2 lumber for the support structure with the voids filled in with sand and the outside in 3/4 or 1/2 inch plywood? I need to build some corners for my HT and am trying to keep it simple, yet end up with a good, solid corner that will allow the Khorns to sing in the low frequencies.

Rudy,

I am a fan of the flase corners, if you lack them in the room. There are MANY posts on the subject, just run a search.

The most interesting that I have saw lately were by Tigerwoodkhon (I think). They were a real nice design and would leave the speaker portable (realitive term with khorn) and were not real intrusive to the room.

Roy

I have been reading many, if not all, of the posts on false corners for some time. I can't recall anyone filling the false wall voids with sand or any other product to increase the mass of the wall. I was wondering if anyone had and what the thing weighed when finished.

I am also trying to determine what, if any, are the effects of making the false wall only as tall as the bass bin vs. going up to the height of the top hat.

I will keep reviewing those other posts, but some of them are looooong.

----------------

On 7/9/2005 2:49:52 PM Rudy81 wrote:

I am also trying to determine what, if any, are the effects of making the false wall only as tall as the bass bin vs. going up to the height of the top hat.

----------------

Absolutely no advantage in going above the bass bin.

Rudy,

I went through this myself, so let me share some personal experience.

The structure needs to have mass and stiffness in order to minimize vibration. The thickness of the plywood will not matter as much as the construction. The more bracing the better. Also using both glue and nails is better. If you want, you can get away with MDF rather than plywood. As far as sand to fill the voids, this will add quite a bit of weight, and I am not convinced that the results will be that much better with the added mass. These will certainly weigh quite a bit without the sand and you may have problems moving them. In my case, I used some insulation in the voids. However, to minimize and transmission of vibration from the cabinet to the corner, I did use pipe foam to seal the cabinet to the false corner, and the structure itself was on a rubber mat. This helped dampen vibration and prevented scratching the wood floor. As far as the height goes, I agree with the others: it is a design issue (as long as it reaches the top of the bass bin

It is worth spending some time considering the design aspect. In my case I dressed it up with paint & some wood trim to compliment the room (and hide a number of sins). Consider the WAF.

Good luck & the corners do make a difference,

-Tom

• 3 months later...

I am close to finishing my home remodel which will incorporate a large Home Theater, 20'x27', an the Khorns will have to use false corners due to windows very close to the room corners. In my work on the remodel, I have been laying a lot of tile and had an idea. What, if any inprovement, would be gained by "tiling" the inside of the false corners with say a nice tile or granite tile? I would use 1/2" hardiboard, which is very stiff, and then tile over that. The mass would increase considerably and the tiled surface would be stiffer than a plywood or MDF surface. Any experts on frequency response have a guess as to wether or not this would be a worthwhile expence?

In the looks category, I was impressed with Dean's false corners, made

with 3/4" ply. He had a threaded rod going through the corners to

tighten them against the horn cabs. HE said they helped a lot, but we

all know Dean goes off the deep end now and then. [;)] May be

could post a link to his thread on them.

Bruce

Check out IndyKlipschFan's avatar. It shows a very nice trimmed out panel he uses in his Family Room. I'm not sure of the construction details, but it fits right in with his rooms trim and cabinetry. When I go over there, I hardly notice and it's right by the door to the garage.

Michael

Rudy,

There is some confusion in the responses since the thread actually goes back several months.

In answer to your more recent question about tiling the the insides of the false corners ....

I would imagine this is simply an aesthetic issue. I assume you used one of the prescribed construction methods. In that case there is sufficient mass and stiffness so the unit will not be vibrating. The tile would add a a very dense layer; however, there is already such a large impedance mismatch (air-to-MDF or air-to-tile) that I do not think it would create any additional benefit.

Good luck and post some photos when you are done. This is such a fantastic project for folks with less than ideal rooms, and the results and benefits are quite dramatic.

-Tom

also if your looking for a cheap way to fill the inside so there are no voids (less mice and bugs to get in there) you can use expanding foam, just make sure to take your time and go slowly one layer at a time so that the foam has plenty of space to expand and wont crack any of the wood apart