equipment cooling question

Northshore

My current setup is one that needs some help in regards to cooling of the equipment. The scenario is that I have built-in cabinets in the family room that house the following components: Yamaha HT receiver, Denon wholehouse receiver-with Onkyo slave amp, DVD player, DVR, CD changer and an XM receiver. The cabinet has twin doors that open opposite and are divided by a solid wood wall,the problem is that it was built with zero ventilation. To say that my equipment gets fairly hot is an understatement,and probably will be lead to early graves for some of it.

I had the idea of ordering (2) 9" 250 CFM 110v fans which I already have in my possession. I worry about the noise and have considered speed control switches to lessen the impact. All that being said, I am thinking that I mount each fan in a way that pushes air into the cabinet on one side and on the opposite side the fan will be pulling the warm air out of the cabinet. I pose this scenario to the forum members to either dissect my plan and/or suggest a better way of achieving the ultimate goal of cooling the equipment based on my cabinetry.

*sorry for the long winded posting*

I recommend you get immediate cooling installed. Your plan will work fine, just get it done. You are shortening the life of your equipment by cooking it. Please give your gear some cool air!

Let it breath, let it feel the cool air flowing across its circuit boards. Caressing the output transistors, and snaking its way through each little crevass in your system. If you do that, you will soon be taking moonlit walks down the beach, having candlelight dinners and drinking wine...HEY! how did this get turned into a personals ad?9.gif

You don't have to mount the fans at the same point as the cabinet. Take this as an example. Suppose you had an attick fan to cool the first floor of your one story house. Sure, it's gonna be loud (mine is). Now if you were to mount the fan (like I should) on the outside wall of one of the gables it would be a bit more quiet.

In your case, I would run some dryer vent hose up to the attick and mount the fans up there. It would be sucking the air away instead of blowing it into the attick.

How about using one (or both) fan(s) to exhaust the warm internal air and cleverly devising passive cool air inlet ducts directly to your hot components rather than using a fan (which can generate its own heat) to blow air into the cabinet. Just a thought.

ADDED: You may want to think about dust filtration if you're using fans.