New toys for my K-Horns. Dynaco Mark IIIs

Seadog

I finally acquired some serious tubes for my K-horns, a pair of Dynaco Mark IIIs and a Scott 130 preamp. I set them up yesterday evening. These things seriously unleash the K-horns!

I was up until 2:00 am (and at work before 7:00 am 14.gif). Barely turned up and they hit 110 dB in pure clean sweet tube power! Good thing the wife and kids are out of town.3.gif

Slight hum in the 130, so off to Craig in a couple of days.15.gif

Listening to SACD version of DSOTM right now. It never sounded this good before! Delicate and powerful at the same time, only tubes sound like this. The 299D is very good, but this is a different level of satisfaction.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 8:47:14 PM Seadog wrote:

Listening to SACD version of DSOTM right now. It never sounded this good before! Delicate and powerful at the same time, only tubes sound like this. The 299D is very good, but this is a different level of satisfaction.

----------------

Hey Dave.... When do you think I can come over? 3.gif

They are wonderful amplifiers. When they were introduced, much of the copy proclaimed them to be the best production amplifiers ever made. I have a pair for my K-horns and I am looking for a third to rebuild for my center. I thought they were perfect until I installed KT90's. Talk about the icing on the cake!

DR BILL

DR BILL,

I am on the KT-90 bandwagon myself. I switched(believe it or not)from a NOS/NIB '60's quad of GEC KT-88's in my VRD's to the EH KT-90, thought they were pretty good, pleasantly surprised but no huge deal. Then I switched to the Ei KT-90's and after about 100 hours they just came in so solid, GREAT tube, love 'em. That was about 5-6 months ago and I have never looked back. Sold the GEC's I liked the 90's so much.

----------------

On 7/15/2005 6:33:49 AM mdeneen wrote:

"My Xtreme will be here Tuesday (finally!!!!)"

==================

Hey, c'mon, it wasn't THAT long!

mdeneen

----------------

Sorry Mark. It wasn't my intention to imply that you were slow. You turned it around in about 2 days but shipping from coast to coast is a killer! If my upstairs TT wasn't out of commission, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Thanks for getting it back on the road so fast. Much appreciated.1.gif I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!!!

----------------

On 7/14/2005 10:12:02 PM Piranha wrote:

Dave,

Congrats man! Sounds like a great combo. Wait until you toss in a
preamp at some point down the road.
9.gif
Are those Mark III's stock?

----------------

Tom,

No they are not stock. The original PC board with the single 6AN8 tube has been replaced with a circuit using a pair of 6DJ8 tubes (the new PC board us marked mk-3 and GSI 84). The caps have been replaced, and the big can cap on top has been removed and replace with a cap that is now the chassis.

The original bias adjustment pot has been removed, and now there is an adjustment pot on the new PC board. These amps have the 6550 output tubes.

I have heard the Blueberry several times now (all with VRDs) and have always been impressed. Perhaps someday I'll go that route (is there still a JM roadshow going?).

----------------

On 7/15/2005 2:06:57 PM garymd wrote:

Where did you guys get your KT90s and how much is the going rate (if you don't mind me asking)? Any bias adjustments required?
----------------

Ned at Triode recommended them to me. He sells a matched pair of EH for abour $70. I have heard, more them once, that Ei makes a better tube. I'll probably try them, too.

They bias at the same place on the MARK-III's as the KT88's - 1.56v. You will have to make that adjustment the same as you would with any tube swap.

DR BILL