Polk XM Satalite Radio

Osinoff

----------------

On 7/14/2005 11:32:35 PM crazytubepower wrote:

Xm sounds like pig crap...fm is better...xm is somewhere between am and fm

----------------

When I ordered my Honda Accord last fall, I checked the XM Radio (and Nav) box and I haven't been sorry. I hardly listen to FM anymore due to poor programming content and a paucity of uncompressed transmissions. Even a city like Boston would have great jazz stations, you'd think. Perhaps I've missed it but it seems to have gone downhill during the last decade.

Moving to SC this weekend, I can't imagine things will improve. Having XM in the car has been great. The musical quality sounds on par or better than FM to me but the antenna quality has got to be a big part of the equation. The Honda seems to pull in the signal quite well, unless I'm deep in urban canyons or in the twisties of northern Vermont.

I've been inclined to try the Polk reference tuner, but at $300 or so I thought it was a bit steep. Once we get settled in the new house, I'll take another look at it. I WOULD be interested in anybody's comments who's actually lived with it for awhile.

Having music on 12 hours a day and not having to swap CD's every 45 has its appeal.

You'll probably need an external antenna. Polk sells an antenna extension cable. I have never been able to receive without an external. Could be because there may be no ground based repeater station in my area. Tried to find the answer to this from XM but they said that information was "classified". Imagine that! And they aren't even Department of Defense.

----------------

On 7/18/2005 5:58:48 AM Osinoff wrote:

Is there a monthly fee with XM? There is with our car.

Ozzie

----------------

Sure is, but you add additional tuners for less money. Something like $6.95/month for each addition to the family account.

I signed up for two years and took the discount.

I just bring my auto tuner into house and put it in cradle...

and presto XM in house....

not sure why someone would buy the polk XM receiver...as it is just a big bix for the xm auto receiver to fit into...I canot beleive it would be any better....

It is great to have XM in house though....listen to baseball games while working....

----------------

On 7/14/2005 11:32:35 PM crazytubepower wrote:

Xm sounds like pig crap...fm is better...xm is somewhere between am and fm

----------------

I don't know about XM soounding like "Pig Crap" but I do know FM on over ninty percent of the markets in the United States may sound much better but the average play list of these FM stations is between 200 and 300 songs. (And that my friend REALLY sucks!)

No replys saying, "Not my FM station," because my statement can be verified. FM is a far cry from what it used to be.

I love the sound from my Scott LT110B, but paying radio is making FM station owners, (large corporations) sit up and take notice. People who love music want to hear more than the same cuts OVER and OVER and OVER!!!

Rgards,

Bill Woodward

----------------

On 7/18/2005 9:15:01 PM Mick Bell wrote:

ygmn: How could it be better? That's what I thought when I was using my little Sony in the auto and the house. The difference is in the improved DAC in the Polk and, yes, it is better.

Mick
----------------

I am planning on getting Sirius. I want to get a receiver that I can use in my car with an FM modulator (don't want to replace the factory stereo in my car, I really like it) and use the receiver in my home system that will have a digital out so that I can use an outboard DAC. Does such an animal exist?

Chris