SOLD: AK-4 Networks from KHorn

Joe Auwen

I'm offering an AK-4 network that includes the doors to the bass bins with the networks, the K-55-X's, and the K-77-F's -- which would constitute the AK-4 Upgrade Kit.

I've had the opportunity to listen to the AK-2, AK-4 and ALK-ESNs in my '88 Khorns and find that with my system set-up, I prefer the 'sound' of the ALKs. I'm using vintage tube amps, with JM Peach pre, a Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP and all in a pretty small room.

These originally came from DeanG's Khorns:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=62945&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={F89308EC-4589-427C-BEDA-42B9F0CF3282}

I'm asking $1300.00, which is the shipped price (to the US).

Julie, to put it simply, the dividing network does two things, separates the frequencies so that they can go to each individual speaker in the system, and balance the relative outputs of each of those speakers to smooth the overall frequency response. Called a Crossover network, or Frequency Dividing Network (old parlance). Various frequencies travel through the coils (wound up copper thingies) and capacitors (yellow cans) before feeding the speakers. This is the most complex arrangment made by Klipsch (right fellas?).

Your Heresy has probably two or three coils and maybe 4 caps, which would probably be little black boxes or silver metal ones, not the yellow cans. Yes these parts cost a LOT!

Michael

The yellow things are capacitors, and yes, there are a lot of them. If your Heresys are vintage types -- they use a very simple circuit, and the type of network is referred to as a 1st order network. There is a single part in each section of the filter -- an inductor for the woofer, a capacitor for the midrange, and a single capacitor for the tweeter. A second order type adds another part, a third order three -- and so on. The AK-4 is a second order for the woofer -- with a trap, or equalization circuit. The tweeter circuit is a sixth order, and the midrange section is difficult for me to explain in a way you'll understand -- probably because I barely understand it myself! It appears to be a 2nd order high pass attached to a first order bandpass, and then ending with a parallel notch circuit (LCR). In summary, the AK-4 utilizes steep slopes and loads of compensation. I consider the network best suited for solid state amplifiers and big rooms.

Mike, the capacitors are metallized polyester, and I'd be surprised if Klipsch paid more than $2.00 for the big 50uF values, and mere pennies for the smaller values. Probably about the same for the inductors. Motor run cans, like in the older networks were probably about the same or less as well. With the AK-4 network, the biggest part of the cost is wrapped up in the gorgeous PCB and drivers. I imagine part of the cost is for the money lost in R&D.

I had the AK-2 network...(for me sucked.. over the years they got out of balance IMO and as much as I praised the K horns... the mid horns... at mid to high levels screamed at me, and highs not high enough on some material, although the lows were basically always pretty good.)

The AK 4 network a new tweeter with driver, new mid driver, and new x over.. What did I get..????

First off, a LOT smoother in transitions from lows to highs. And much better highs too. Less harsh mids...and believe it or not, more solid lows in the woofer. Over all, I say I went from a 7 to a 9.999 (1-10 scale) and feel I def have the best of the best K horn now!!

The new AK 4 upgrade kit at Klipsch calls it.. I say, afterall it is... "The new Klipsch 2005 Klipschorn Speakers with the new Networks... The only thing missing is the new pie logos.....

You get a "new" 2005 K horn for 1,300. This is a very good thing indeed!

Remember, Paul tweeked the K horn over 60 times... Drivers, x overs, this is the latest and greatest so far and I, for one,... LOVE IT! If you have the AK-2's... This is a MAJOR upgrade! It still is a lot of money.. BUT, a lot cheaper than a new set of K horns too.

Amy or Trey Can you buy 1/2 the upgrade kit for one La SCala? I have a pair of 2004 La Scalas and a single 1976 La Scala I use for a center channel. I had a new AA crossover made by BEC and it helped. For movies it sounds fine but for multi channel music I can

still notice a difference. I guess if it's $1800 to upgrade both speakers than probably $900 for one. If I do this it will have to be next year.

Xman

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I just started moving stuff into my new home shop and found these in the process. I thought I would offer them to the Klipsch forum again before putting them on ebay.

The $1300. price includes shipping within the lower 48. Price is negotiable as I need the space.

Is this with the k-77-f, k-55-x, and k-33 drivers?

If for the xovers only, the last set of AK-4's I bought on this forum was 500 bucks a pair.

I might have a buyer for you if $500 for just the xover pair.

Is this with the k-77-f, k-55-x, and k-33 drivers?

If for the xovers only, the last set of AK-4's I bought on this forum was 500 bucks a pair.

I might have a buyer for you if $500 for just the xover pair.

It includes all but the K33s, but I have a used pair I could include. I would also consider parting with just the xovers. Send me an email.

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved everything today Joe. Super pack job. Now I have something to do for the next few weekends as I cycle thru the AK-4 kit vs the ALK ES400+es5800.