Ohm load to powered subwoofer

wuzzzer

My system consists of a Definitive Technology 15" 'Powerfield 15' powered subwoofer and RF-25 speakers. The subwoofer is using speaker level inputs, as my receiver does not have a subwoofer RCA output.

My receiver does have a 4ohm/8ohm switch. I would like to know if it is safe to run it in 4ohm mode or if it would cause any damage to the subwoofer.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Shouldn't make any difference. What does Def Tech say it should be?

It is probably set up to place a very small load on the amp through those inputs, so you should have it set for what your main speaker loads are.

well if things are already running fine in the 8ohm mode, then I don't see the reason for flipping the switch...

As long as you don't crank the reciever, you can do a quick test for yourself and see what changes it makes in the sound. I have a feeling that it might sound a bit louder in the 4ohm mode.

Does your reciever manual have any info in there?

----------------

On 7/18/2005 12:49:04 PM DrWho wrote:

well if things are already running fine in the 8ohm mode, then I don't see the reason for flipping the switch...

Does your reciever manual have any info in there?

----------------

The manual for the receiver just says to switch it to whatever the ohm rating of the speakers are. I don't know where the Def Tech manual is, but I don't remember it saying anything about ohm rating.

I guess I'll probably leave it in the 8ohm setting just to be on the safe side. I just thought the 4ohm setting may give my RF-25s a little more oomph.

Then again, if I end up blowing my Def Tech sub it'll always give me an excuse to upgrade!9.gif9.gif11.gif

----------------

On 7/18/2005 10:44:58 PM wuzzzer wrote:

The manual for the receiver just says to switch it to whatever the ohm rating of the speakers are. I don't know where the Def Tech manual is, but I don't remember it saying anything about ohm rating.

I guess I'll probably leave it in the 8ohm setting just to be on the safe side. I just thought the 4ohm setting may give my RF-25s a little more oomph.

Then again, if I end up blowing my Def Tech sub it'll always give me an excuse to upgrade!
9.gif9.gif11.gif

----------------

That should mean the ohm rating on the RF-25s. As I mentioned, the sub inputs, even using the speaker inputs, will present very little load to the amp.