Cornwall cab rebuild revisited

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last shot for the day - acoustic foam on the inner sides, and on the shelf. Still need to apply it to the back door and the inner top. For you purists that have noticed that the normal stock crossover position is covered with foam, I opted to move the crossover once it is complete to a yet undetermined location, either the door back or the speaker floor.

I will take some final shots as these are completed, but it may be a little while, since I need to build crossovers. I will get back with more pics once I have them done. Thanks all for your comments, I appreciate it!

Chris

post-14415-13819268620922_thumb.jpg

Chris, just my .02 on your foam, I say this to help you stay as close as possible to the original design. Generally sound deadening material is only applied to ONE of TWO parallel surfaces. This is considered enough to accomplish the main function of breaking up standing waves within the cabinet. On Cornwalls, this is usually the top, one side, and the back (has to be thin where the mid driver comes close). I noticed that your photo has material on both sides and the shelf/port top, which might be more than necessary, taking up cabinet volume and dampening too much. (note: the CWII has NO dampening material whatsoever).

It might have been a production item to attach the xovers to the baffle board, as all components could be assembled together (just a guess on my part) and the tissue pad dampening would not have to be cutout to mount.

They do look fantastic though, great veneer job!

Michael

Michael:

Interestingly, the '76 Corns I patterned these cabs after have EXACTLY the same placement of dampening materials as you see me doing; both sides (one side has an open area for the X-OVER), the cabinet top, the shelf, and the inside back panel. What you see is obviously not what you have, but I am following what I have, and ALL these surfaces are treated. Guess this proves there are a number of variations!

Chris

Concerning the insulation, which by the way, looks great. You should use very little on the back panel as you want that air getting to the ports unrestricted. If you add too much, you'll choke it off and have a noticeable reduction in bass response and punch. Still a great looking job! My Cornwalls have insulation on every internal side, but the motorboard.

----------------

On 7/25/2005 9:57:17 PM popbumper wrote:

I DID pick up a 4'x8' sheet of 10mm thick Black Walnut veneer today, and was able to get the first cabinet covered.

----------------

You've done a fantastic job on those cabs. Quick question for ya. Did you use 10mm thick veneer, or 10mil thick? 10mm is just over 3/8" thick. And if it is indeed 10mm thick could you let me know where you got it. I could use that for some cabinet door panes. Thanx for your time,

Jeremy

Jeremy - 10 mil thick veneer - pretty thin stuff.

BS - I'll take your advise on the amount of dampening on the back panel. I finished drilling the screw holes for the back doors today, and added a square terminal cup towards the bottom of the panels. Just about to go in and paint the back doors, more pics soon.

Chris

Last shot for the time being. Please forgive the fuzzy pic - this is the Cornwall pair with the backs installed. Note absence of all attachment screws, and presence of terminal cups. I finally brought these cabs home Friday evening and carried them upstairs - these don't even have drivers in them yet and they are HEAVY!

IF anyone happens to be interested in a set, or another type of cabinet, I would be happy to do what I can. Thanks again all for showing interest.

Chris

post-14415-13819268625626_thumb.jpg