How will the RSW 15 compare to a Paradigm Servo 15?

absolutofft

I understand that both of these subs are in the same price range of around $1500 US.

I am debating whether or not to get the Servo 15 or perhaps wait until the RSW is released.

One benefit of the RSW is that it has the copper driver which would match the rest of my Klipsch reference speakers.

What comparisons could be made between the Servo 15 and the RSW 15?

Aaron

Now *that's* a comparison I'd like to hear!

I heard (should I say "experienced") the RSW-15 in Hope during the Mecca. It was an incredible sub and worked very well with the Heritage setup they had (can the Jubilees be called Heritage speakers?).

I now own a Servo-15, and it too meshes very well with my LaScalas. It's punchy, musical and powerful.

There's no way for me to properly compare these two subs, separated as they are by 6 months and about 1500 miles. But, I think the RSW has more output than the Servo-15. My Servo-15 works cranks out a huge amount of bass in my smallish HT room, but we heard the RSW-15 in a really big room and it kicked *** there. I'm pretty sure my Servo-15 wouldn't provide that same amount of bass in a similar sized room.

If Klipsch would see fit to send me an RSW-15 for a while, I'd be happy to do a proper comparison! Smile.gif

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

now that i've happily acquired my ksps-6's, the hunt for the sub is on. looking at the cvs ultra (1-only) but would prefer to have all-klipsch, and have hopes the rsw will go into the 'teens'. lookin'for specs. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Ahhh!

I am gonna explode with all this RSW-15 excitment! cwm35.gif

------------------

Home Theater (getting soon):

TV: Sony KV-ES34M80 (34" FD Trinitron WEGA)

DVD Player: Toshiba SD-5200

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (Hi-Fi VCR)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000 or Denon AVR-4802

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: None (Waiting for Klipsch RSW-15)

The Paradigm Servo-15 lacks some punch,its a very high quality sub.Its a real sub,will go down to 16Hz with no problems.Few subs can claim this!

The only sub that goes even lower is the Velodyne HGS18,this brute can hit hard and low.The king of low bass.

I think based on other Klipsch products,Klipsch RSW15 should have more punch and more output then the Servo-15.

I doubt the RSW15 will match the Velodyne HGS18,in output.True the HGS18 uses one 18" driver,the RSW15 will use two 15"(active,passive).I cant wait,I will compare side by side the big brutes when the RSW15 is out.

And I will see(hear) how they all compare to my reference sub(for output)the Revel B15.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

there seems to be some sacrifice of brute spl on the hgs-18 (even w/ a 3000W peak class D amp) because of it's high gain servo & accelometer circuity. would imagine the same for any servo subs. iwo as tv from svs calls it some "clamp down" on high gains in the low frequencies for the sake of less distortion or cleaner higher quality low bass.

the rsw is a whole different animal. no servo or limiting type circuity. instead a passive radiator.

guess we'll see how it compares in all areas - spl or low bass quantity, extension, distortion, & pitch definition or transient response.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

2-KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HTS1000 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

rock on!

Let me preface my reply by first saying that I have owned Klipsch, M$K (yes, $, they are overpriced) and Paradigm subs. I have owned Kg1s, and Forte IIs for 10 and 7 years, respectively. I currently own a Paradigm PW-2200 (see my review on audioreview.com) and in my opinion it is one of the top AT LEAST 10 subs out there, regardless of price, with its big brother, the Servo-15 raking in the top 3. Until Klipsch has a sub ranked as Sterophile recommended for at least three years running I wouldn't consider it a match for the Servo-15. This isn't to say that it won't be great, or even better than the Servo-15, it is just to say that Klipsch has not proven that it can manufacture a durable, world class sub (LF problems, hum problems, back panels falling off, etc.). I think that the market has forced Klipsch to make amplified subs, which is not their...forte, shall we say. Hopefully, with the acquisition of Mondial, a very fine ampifiler company among other things, will help propel Klipsch into the top of the powered sub universe. I think the M&K MX5000 (if you can afford it) and Velodyne 18 inch, and Servo 15 (with several others from 'smaller' manufacturers) are the top contenders right now. A year from now maybe that will have changed. Go Klipsch! Surprise us with your subwoofer prowess!

J.

------------------

James D. Orth

• Like 1

I would very much like to hear about your Top Ten subs, orthj.

Here is my Top Ten subs(price not taken into consideration)no wait make that a Top Eleven!

Krell Master Reference(quality none can match,also the most powerful sub in the world,plain and simple.Beware when you see the price tag you will find all others in the list inexpensive and El Cheapo!The built quality is beyond description,the amps could drive anything and the twin drivers are the baddest SOB's in the speaker world.Oh yes the price...an owner told me he paid $35000(for ONE sub!)The sub weighs over 400lbs)

REL Stentor II and Studio II(The Studio uses two Volt drivers and the Stentor one.Both provide some of the most clean and articulated bass on earth.Quality is in the best of class category,on par with the Aerial!Not cheap but worth for the ones with plenty of green)

Aerial Acoustics SW12(sound and built quality second to none,single super heavy duty 12 incher,400W RMS amp)

Revel B15(huge output and sound quality,super long throw 15 inch custom Revel driver with a 1KW RMS amp)

Velodyne HGS18 and 15(kings of low below 3 grand,great output and low distortion tahk to the servo,1250W RMS amps power custom heavy duty drivers)

Paradigm Servo-15(great inexpensive servo sub,400W RMS amp with 15 inch custom Paradigm driver.SUPER VALUE!)

Sunfire Signature(king of the microsubs,HUGE output and down low!Two super heavy duty drivers passive / active with a Carver powerful amp)

Infinity Prelude MTS subs(tight,musical and powerful.The RABOS bass system works,a real bargain)

Revel Ultima SUB-15 with LE-1 amp(fast,tight and power to knock your dentition out.Not cheap but you can get ONE amp and conect TWO subs!Double trouble)

SVS Ultra with good power amp(when used with a large Bryston you get awesome power and finesse few can match.Goes low and hits hard if needed.Good value)

Whise Profunder 624(Like with the SVS Ultra you will need a good external amp.Definition beyond all the above!You read right,and power so vast you can shake down the house,limited to about 25Hz.Not cheap)

And a honorable few after...

Dynaudio Contour sub

Paradigm PW2200(bargain)

HSU TN1225HO with Bryston 4B power amp

SVS(all cylinder units sound good and cost little)I say get the ones with no amp and get your own....Bryston Smile.gif

Sunfire Mark II(tiny Godzilla,may be small but will knock you out.Real deep bass from a 11" cube!)

Infinity Intermezzo sub(should be listed with the Infinity Prelude MTS subs,same quality in another package)

REL Q200E(looks like the Sunfire MarkII,less output and more defined bass)

M&K 5000(push pull design,400W RMS and twin 12 inchers,deep and tight bass)

M&K MX700(tiny push pull sub,twin 8 inch drivers give a very defined and tight bass.Good down to a solid 30Hz,even maybe 25 if placed close to a wall)

Monitor Audio 212(twin 12 inchers with a 360W RMS amp,very tight and musical.Plenty of power too.A very much like the M&K 5000,fast bass you bet)

This completes my list,I have to listen to the new Wilson sub and the new Klipsch RSW subs.

TheEAR(s) Now theears