1980 Cornwalls -- Best Upgrades or Mods?

bchulett

Greetings,

My Cornwalls haven't been touched or opened up since new... I was supposed to have opened these up and posted pics by now but haven't allocated the time---I'll get to that part eventually.

However, my question is related to updating these after 25 years. I'm not a technical person, so any help or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback... I sent Bob Crites (BEC) a PM last night.

What's a K-55V? I can't imagine my Cornwalls sounding better than they do now, but from what I've read in several posts, the upgrades are significant to say the least.

Thanks again,

Bob

What's a K-55V?

This is the squawker (midrange) driver and is fitted with soldered connections for the wire, the older model has push connections into which the wire is slid. The older model is frequently modded with a P-trap, 3.0 uF capacitor and .1 mHy inductor to tame the squawker.

So to upgrade(rebuild) the crossover yourself, are the values stamped on the caps? I'm looking to replace the caps on my 86's but would like to buy the caps first so I only have to open 'em up once per upgrade. Getting the capacitance value is easy enough, someone posted the schematic, but what are the voltage ratings of the various components? Are the crossover gurus willing to share this info or is someone else who has done this willing to share? I'm all for DIY when possible.

-Mark

I also have all-original '80 Cornwalls that I bought new. If I ever get around to it, the only thing I'd like to do is update the crossovers. I don't feel (hear) the need to do anything else. Actually, I really don't hear the need for the crossover change but I know it'll make an improvement. I did it on my '76 Khorns and it was fairly significant.

into tubes:

It depends on the network installed in your Cornwall II's. The different networks are based on the driver used for the squawker and therefore the difference in the networks.

B network: 2.0 and 4.0 UF cap, P trap: 3.0 uF cap + .1 mHy inductor (for spring loaded connectors only)

B-2 network: 2.0, 3.0 and 20 uF cap,

B-3 network: 1.5, 1.5, 3.0 and 68 uF cap.

At least this is what I have from the schematics I have copied down this year.