Sub Size For Small Mains?

vrowish

Posted this over in Tech:

"Bigger is better, but are there any directivity issues when putting a large sub with a small main/satellite? My understanding is that per given frequency, a large driver will beam more than a smaller one. If a large sub has to cross over high to a small main, will it draw attention to itself? Shouldn't a small speaker have a small sub? Is there a recommended sub size per lower frequency extension of a satellite?"

Got some info, and now I would like to ask:

With mains spec'd at: 70-20,000hz,+/-2db, 55hz low frequency extension (although I don't know how far down they are at that point), sensitivity of 89db, and a 5-1/2" mid/woofer,

what is your sub size/model recommendation and ideal cut-off/cross-over settings for your choice?

Thanks

Any sub would work real well crossed over at 80Hz or 100Hz.

I say go with the biggest sub you can aesthetically and monetarily afford. Basically, try to purchase a sub that you will never have to replace.

(you aren't going to have the directivity problems you were concerned about in the other thread)

----------------

On 7/23/2005 11:03:39 AM DrWho wrote:

Any sub would work real well crossed over at 80Hz or 100Hz.

I say go with the biggest sub you can aesthetically and monetarily afford. Basically, try to purchase a sub that you will never have to replace.

(you aren't going to have the directivity problems you were concerned about in the other thread)

----------------

Not practical...A SUB ONE WOULD NEVER HAVE TO REPLACE. Not realistic. A sub I would NEVER ever have to replace,yeah maybe one with four Tumult drivers in a solid aluminum cabinet powered by a 10KW Krell amp and with an outboard Thiel DSP unit to adapt to room acoustics.

11.gif

I would say to buy a sub that offers great value for the money like an HSU VTF3 or a SVS TV12 equipped sub.Or try the new Klipsch Synergy with the 12" woofer. Great starter subs with plenty of output,dig deep and can follow thru many system upgrades.

you need 2 subs, just slightly differing style ans size. A front firing 8" to give some bottom end to the sats, with the sub10 taking the lowest of it all,and with authority. It's a wonderful combo if you have small sats for mains.

----------------

On 7/24/2005 12:30:16 PM TheEAR wrote:

Not practical...A SUB ONE WOULD NEVER HAVE TO REPLACE. Not realistic. A sub I would NEVER ever have to replace,yeah maybe one with four Tumult drivers in a solid aluminum cabinet powered by a 10KW Krell amp and with an outboard Thiel DSP unit to adapt to room acoustics.

11.gif

----------------

Not to be a prick but the actual quote was "a sub YOU would never have to replace" and I was addressing the author of the post. A person with small speakers for mains is obviously not as insane about their sound as many of the people on the forums and it would never make sense to suggest shelling out thousands of dollars when they wouldn't even appreciate the purchase. If he wants to get serious into the hobby, then he certainly shouldn't waste his money on an "intro" subwoofer because he will just end up selling it when he purchases a new one. If he saved up his money now and bought the better one now, then he would be saving a few hundred dollars in the long run.

One thing I really dislike about the forums is everyone personalizes their advice and bases suggestions off personal tastes instead of addressing the desires of the person asking the question. Just cuz I wouldn't be satisfied with a product doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. Heck, one of the prerequisites for when I move out and purchase a house is the ability to either build on a home theatre or already have an existing room that can be worked with...which includes the option for an IB subwoofer system (the ability to hold at least 8 if not 16 drivers). People would get pissed off at me if I suggested they purchase a new house when all they wanted was a small 8" subwoofer (gotta love exagerated examples). 2.gif

And with your tumult example, you would likely get better performance going with two Avalanche 18's AND need a lot less power, not to mention it'd cost less (efficiency is a good thing, or else none of us would be here on the klipsch site) 2.gif And if size isn't a concern, go with 4 of them, or you could even do an isobaric setup with 8 drivers and it still cost less. The only reason I bring this up is to show that there is no ideal with audio and it's all a system of compromises. Even when striving for the best performance one has to decide what the limiting variables are. In most cases cabinet volume is the limit which makes the Tumult a good choice (in fact, it needs half the cabinet volume as the avalanche 18s, but that's why I suggested 2 drivers...the overall cabinet volume would be the same).

----------------

On 7/25/2005 7:13:03 AM DrWho wrote:

...People would get pissed off at me if I suggested they purchase a new house when all they wanted was a small 8" subwoofer (gotta love exagerated examples).
2.gif

----------------

Would the example have merit if I wanted to get a 5.1 LaScala HT setup and my house was too small? 9.gif BTW: I know how you feel about the LaScalas 2.gif

One more question:

After buying my sub, I know I'll probably be making adjustments to get my system sounding the way I like it but in advance of that, I have one thought. After having needed to boost the bass on my receiver to compensate for my small mains, would I now set the bass control flat to clean things up while letting the sub do its thing?

Thanks,

A.

Well it's always good to remember what your settings were...but I always set everything to flat the first time I turn it on. I would try to find a stereo direct mode on your reciever (it'll have no processing whatsoever) and then go about dialing in the subwoofer. Only when you get a feel for the sound and get it dialed in as best as possible will you want to start messing with EQ. Don't forget to get the phase dialed in right.

----------------

On 7/22/2005 11:15:18 PM vrowish wrote:

"Got some info, and now I would like to ask:

With mains spec'd at: 70-20,000hz,+/-2db, 55hz low frequency extension (although I don't know how far down they are at that point), sensitivity of 89db, and a 5-1/2" mid/woofer,

what is your sub size/model recommendation and ideal cut-off/cross-over settings for your choice?"

Vrowish:

I just purchased a pair of Klipsch B-2 front speakers (5-1/2" midrange/woofers)and a Klipsch 12 inch subwoofer, not the SUB-12 but the just discontinued model. (I think it is KSW-12.) They sound smooth and even with the subwoofer at the back of the room and the two small speakers up front on top of bookshelves. (But, away from the wall so the back port has room to breathe.) This set up sound open, airy and smooth at all volume levels. I do not notice any localization problems having the subwoofer at the back of the room. Its location is dictated by my wife's desire not to see it! I am driving it with an inexpensive Sony 897 home theater receiver and play CDs in either my Sony CD player or Panasonic DVD player. I originally set the crossover at about 80 hertz but have since moved it closer to 100. I think this B-2s fall off and the sub woofer fall off make this just about right.

I am not really an equipment freak and don't have a ton of money. I am interested in recreating the live music sound. I can't believe how natural this set up sounds for so little money. I listen to half classical music (orchestral and choral) and half old man's popular music (Greatful Dead, stuff from the 60-70s.) I have tried a few DVDs with demaning sound tracks. This modest set up handles them all. I am looking forward to hooking up my turntable and trying out some records. I have some records where I also have the CD.

I recommend the 12 inch subwoofer over the 10 inch if you are interested in reproducing all of the musical range. I am impressed with the Klipsch 12 as much for what it does not produce (booming voices) as for what it does (subtle plucked bass fiddle notes). Have no fear of oversizing your subwoofer if it is a quality product.

Good luck and enjoy.

Northwest Bob