Chorus 1's for sale

Fishboat

This is the only place I'm offering these at the moment.

One pair of oak Chorus 1's in 9.5/10 condition. Very little use over the years. I haven't put 10 hours on the speakers in the last 5-6 years & they haven't been used at all in the last year. They've been oiled with lemon oil at least 1x per year. I'm the second owner. The first owner listened to classical through vintage(antique now I guess) McIntosh equipment. I ran them with a McIntosh MA6100. Speaker serial numbers 8878549 & 8878550. I have the original boxes, but will not ship them. If your local to Milwaukee, Wi or don't mind a quick road trip, & your interested, please let me know. Serious inquiries only. $700 for the pair. I might be willing to deliver them if the buyer is fairly close by. I can send photos if you want, but there isn't much to see...they are clean & right.

If they were cornwalls I'm sure people would be going nuts...I don't think many here realize how similar the two sound (on some material I even prefer the Chorus over the cornwall!)

I never thought about it as $350 per speaker...you can't even build just a subwoofer with similar performace to the bass of the chorus.

I appreciate your comments. I have to admit I'm a little surprised I haven't even had a bump from someone. I was hoping you folks wouldn't jump on me for posting them...since I haven't been a regular or even a casual visitor to the forum. I'm in the process of moving and am more jammed for time than normal. I thought the group here would be a good place to see if anyone wanted them. They really are in very nice condition. I can't imagine a pair that have been used less.

I've had Klipsch speakers of one sort or another for many years. I picked up a pair of Heresy's last fall for my girlfriend...she must have just the right room as they sound teriffic. I also had a pair of LaScalas for around 10 years. Bought them originally in 1976, but had to sell them when I went back to school. I would love a pair of corner horns, but the new place doesn't have corners in the right places...maybe someday.

Anyway...hopefully someone will give the Chorus speakers a good home.

Its not the price. You are asking a very, very reasonable amount.

If you were in the tri-state area (NYC) they would be gone. I myself have been looking for Chorus I that I could pick up.

They would probably get destroyed by UPS. My brother bought a pair of Chorus I and they dropped one of them and bashed in the corner and destroyed the top. UPS did reimburse him for the damages but he had to spend a lot of time and effort to repair the corner and re-apply new veneer to the entire speaker.

They really are wonderful sounding speakers. His speaker search is over!

I think most people don't realize or have not experienced how the Chori :>) really sound. I posted here a couple of months ago listing a pair of walnut oil Chorus II's with brown grills for $650, I think it was, and a pair of Chorus in black with black grills for $450. Got one response that didn't work out.

The walnut II's were in the home of a pro stage/sound guy that had Khorns, RC-3, Chorus II and Forte II surrounds. The owner lived in Conn. and had moved back home (where the speakers were) prior to passing away. The fella handling the sale of his estate mentioned that he was really picky about his audio equipment. Apparently he was. I listened to all of them. I bought the Chorus II's.

Using a Scott tube integrated the Chorus II's just pound out the bass. I have KSP-400 front speakers in my HT setup that have built-in 15" subs. As I've mentioned here before, there is absolutely no need for additional subs in my room when using the KSP-400's. I'm not talking the old LaScala does/does not have bass argument, the KSP-400's have bass in spades. I have 3 Klipsch subs and I haven't used them at all since buying the 400's. The Chorus/Scott setup in a side by side comparo give the 400's a good run for the money in the bass department. I really enjoyed listening to the Chorus II/Scott combo in a 2-channel setup for the limited amount of time that the Scott integrateds actually worked. I think the Chorus II's would be hard to beat for a whole lotta more money.

The Chorus I bought from the original owner here locally, about 20 minutes from my home. He offered them here and I bought them. He too took good care of the speakers and was reluctant to sell them. We had planned to get together later and try out the Chorus along with 2 Klipsch subs and a Scott integrated, but in short order the Scotts crapped out. I did however get several opportunities to listen to the Chorus with a Scott 233 before it quit. The Chorus positioned in the same place as before using the same equipment yielded less bass in my room than the II's. In the beginning I thought I preferred the exponential horn in the Chorus to the tractrix in the Chorus II's. I soon changed my mind. I think the tractrix is somewhat smoother sounding and less shrill than the exponential. Still, the Chorus are very nice.

Try selling your speakers on Audiogon or E-Bay. They seem to bring top dollar there. Many here get caught up in the big box race, only to learn later of placement/room issues. Chorus are a big value in sound for their comparative small size. Maybe my rambling will create some interest. Good luck with the sale.

Keith

I paid 750 for my C-1s and thought that was a great deal. I agree somebody shoudl be all over these at 700.

I actually like the C1 over the C2. I have heard others say that a c1 is like a tall cornwall in sound. They rock well but can still sound a bit more refined (to me anyway) then a Forte. I have used mine for music and mains for HT. They excelled in both duties.

If you don't need to dump them right away sit on them till fall/winter and I bet you can get 800 or more on ebay.

Good Luck

I heard Mike Lindsays Chorus back to back with my Cornwalls, in my own home, with my own equipment. They are more similar than not. The real question is, how do they compare to Reference speakers at $1K?

10.gif

You guys are either talking me into keeping them or going for mo-money. I thought $700 was in the range, but I didn't realize it might have been on the low side. No matter...if someone wants them here at 7-bills then 7 it is. I'm really not in a pinch to get rid of them as moving them won't be difficult. If they don't sell in the short term then they'll find a safe spot in the new place. I did run them for a short time using a Jolida integrated tube amp & Jolida CDP...sounded real nice. If/when someone goes for them the Jolida power will be used for the audition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fish boat,

I am very interested in your babies. I live in the chicagoland area and would like to audition them. I also have a Jolida integrated amp. and this would give me a great sense of what I can expect. My phone is 630/ 582-7522. If this weekend is open it is good for me. You can E-mail me at gappmp@aol.com. Thanks for your time and reponse...Best Regards...Pete

----------------

On 8/2/2005 7:29:22 AM stormin wrote:

The chorus II is just a sweet speaker. Give it a back wall and it's ok. Give it a good corner and some distance and it's in a league of it's own.
9.gif

----------------

I found the same thing with a pair of Chorus II's that I own. They sounded much better when moved to a corner than when just placed up against a wall.

Finally, we have a connection. Thanks for posting your excellent Chorus I's here first and giving the true fans a chance at them. Also very good of you to hold true to the 'no shipping' program. Too easily these antique works of audio art are destroyed by heathens in brown shirts (or other colors).

Hope the demo and sale go well for both parties.

Michael