ot: but i'll ask a new car ? here

jackbean

----------------

On 7/25/2005 8:13:14 PM jackbean wrote:

i am buying a new gmc truck it comes with a 3,000 rebate . do i have to pay the sales tax on that or is the dealer required to claim that ??

thank you

john

----------------

When I bought my new car this past spring, it came with a 2,000 rebate. I still had to pay sales tax (despite me and my father trying to talk them out of it). The catch is that it is a rebate, not a discount (although from the buyer's point of view, whats the difference?)! The best analogy is when I bought an 80-gig harddrive. It was advertised at $20, but in reality, it was $90, with $70 in rebates. Of course, when I bought it at the register, I paid the full $90 (and sales tax on that), and then collected the $70 worth of rebates (I friggan hate mail-in rebates! 14.gif After all, why the hell does it have to take nearly 2 months to get it back? What? They only got one person to process those? Just give me the damn discount at the register!). At least in the case of the auto dealership, they deduct the amount right there.

"Of course, when I bought it at the register, I paid the full $90 (and sales tax on that), and then collected the $70 worth of rebates (I friggan hate mail-in rebates! 14.gif After all, why the hell does it have to take nearly 2 months to get it back? What? They only got one person to process those? Just give me the damn discount at the register!)."

Skonopa, that's the whole point of those stupid mail-in rebates. The companies make most of their money from the people who forget to mail them in, lose the receipt, etc. I won't buy anything anymore with a mail-in rebate, not worth the hassle. Like you say, if they want to give you a sale price, then deduct it at the cash register. Many of them send out rebate checks that are only good for 30 days, etc., so many people lose out by not depositing them before the deadline. It's a big scam.

Don't know what state you are in, but in California, the Board of Equalization (great name for a tax agency) requires sales tax to be paid on the price before the rebate. The seller gets part of the money from you, and part from the manufacturer. The seller is obligated to pay sales tax on the total received. But they are allowed, and are in all likelihood going, to pass the tax on to you. Some kinds of rebates are apparently taxable. But I think a rebate on a vehicle just reduces your basis and is not taxable both at the state and federal levels. See IRS pub 525. OTOH it has been many, many years since I took the CPA exam so you might want to check with your tax guy.

I checked out GM's rebate deal last month. I was looking at a Yukon. They told me I could have the 3K rebate or 0% financing (not both), which when financed at 4.5 on a 48 month loan worked out to about the same 3K as the rebate. The whole "Employee Discount" is just another way to get you in the door. I decided wait on the Yukon and let gas go up antoher buck a gallon , then they'll be ready to deal.2.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 7/26/2005 12:38:59 AM Malcolm wrote:

.............., but in California, the Board of Equalization (great name for a tax agency) .......................

----------------

That name is so sad; "Board of Equalization" must make you Californians feel so much better being taxed. What a joke!

----------------

On 7/26/2005 12:38:59 AM Malcolm wrote:

.............., but in California, the Board of Equalization (great name for a tax agency) .......................

----------------

It's quite appropriate, actually. They take from the rich and give to the poor, disenfranchised illegal aliens. Ain't diversity grand?

----------------

On 7/26/2005 1:21:47 AM Big Ears wrote:

I checked out GM's rebate deal last month. I was looking at a Yukon. They told me I could have the 3K rebate or 0% financing (not both), which when financed at 4.5 on a 48 month loan worked out to about the same 3K as the rebate. The whole "Employee Discount" is just another way to get you in the door. I decided wait on the Yukon and let gas go up antoher buck a gallon , then they'll be ready to deal.
2.gif
----------------

I don't know about that, the Yukon I just bought listed for $44K, Employee discount was about $7800, and the rebate was $3000. I walked out of there for around 33K which is less than I paid for my similarly equipped new Tahoe(same car, Chevy nameplate) in 1999. Unfortunately, it has 9 Bose speakers scattered throughout the damn thing

14.gif

I don't pay much attention to car pricing year round but the deals right now seem to be more than the usual "Blowout" sales you see every other week throughout the year.

ALG is pleased to announce the release of the ALG Depreciation Ratings. Based on 2005 model year vehicles, the 1 through 5 star ALG ratings provide consumers with an accurate and convenient method to determine the amount of depreciation a vehicle will experience over the lifetime of ownership. ALG Depreciation Ratings will be featured on Edmunds.com.

http://www.alg.com/deprratings.aspx

Eligible vehicles

Here are the 38 light truck models that qualify for an extra $24,000 accelerated depreciation tax break:

BMW X5

Cadillac Escalade

Chevy Astro

Chevy Avalanche

Chevy Express

Chevy Silverado

Chevy Suburban

Chevy Tahoe

Dodge Durango

Dodge Ram Van

Dodge Ram Maxi Van

Dodge Ram Wagon

Dodge Ram 1500

Dodge Ram 2500

Dodge Ram 3500

Ford Excursion

Ford Expedition

Ford Econoline E-150

Ford Econoline E-250

Ford Econoline E-350

Ford F-150

Ford F-250

Ford F-350

GMC Yukon

GMC Safari

GMC Savana

GMC Sierra

GMC Sierra Denali

Land Rover Discovery

Land Rover Range Rover

Lincoln Blackwood

Lincoln Navigator

Mercedes ML 320

Mercedes ML 500

Mercedes ML55 AMG

Toyota Land Cruiser

Toyota Sequoia

Toyota Tundra

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0212/18/c01-38875.htm

10.gif

I got a laugh when Ford came out with the Expedition. They announced it as a vehicle that they stood to make $15,000 a pop on. Bragged about it on the tube even. People lined up and bought the heck out of them.

Me, I'm still driving my 1994 Chevy with 73,000 miles. Just 7 more payments and I'll have it paid for.

Keith

----------------

On 7/26/2005 1:21:47 AM Big Ears wrote:

I checked out GM's rebate deal last month. I was looking at a Yukon. They told me I could have the 3K rebate or 0% financing (not both), which when financed at 4.5 on a 48 month loan worked out to about the same 3K as the rebate. The whole "Employee Discount" is just another way to get you in the door. I decided wait on the Yukon and let gas go up antoher buck a gallon , then they'll be ready to deal.
2.gif

----------------

That was the case here when I bought my car this past March. I could've taken the rebates for the 0% financing. With the amount of money I was putting down (by the time all said and done, it was $7,000 down), I would've came out ahead taking the rebate and the 4.04% financing on the amount left over. That was a story right there.

Those dealerships would rather you take thier financing. When it came to the final numbers, the "finance officer" showed me a loan at 5.4%. Oh, you should've seen the sweat beading on his forehead when I told him I was already pre-approved at my credit union at 3.9% (which was true). He started digging through his documents to see if he could match that! The best he could do was come up with 4.04%. My father was with me and he pretty much told me that for the .14% difference, just take it and be done. It would've only made a difference of about $30 over the life of the loan. Just need to pay ahead a few payments and that would take care of that.

Thus, as an aside, shop around and if possible, try to get pre-approved for something! Will give you a big bargaining chip. If I had not done that, I probably would've taken the 5.4% and not think anything of it (since my old loan on my previous car was something like 8% - had the thing paid for, until it got hit! 14.gif Oh well, at least the insurance settlement was way more than I would've gotten on trade-in, plus I do now have a nice, shiney new vehicle that I paid practically peanuts for ($11,000 financed))

Of course, if you are fortunate enough to have the money to buy the thing in cash, all that would be moot anyway. 2.gif

----------------

On 7/25/2005 11:54:08 PM cmdridq wrote:

"Of course, when I bought it at the register, I paid the full $90 (and sales tax on that), and then collected the $70 worth of rebates (I friggan hate mail-in rebates!
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/14.gif"> After all, why the hell does it have to take nearly 2 months to get it back? What? They only got one person to process those? Just give me the damn discount at the register!)."

Skonopa, that's the whole point of those stupid mail-in rebates. The companies make most of their money from the people who forget to mail them in, lose the receipt, etc. I won't buy anything anymore with a mail-in rebate, not worth the hassle. Like you say, if they want to give you a sale price, then deduct it at the cash register. Many of them send out rebate checks that are only good for 30 days, etc., so many people lose out by not depositing them before the deadline. It's a big scam.

----------------

I'll say it's a scam. I remember when I bought this computer it had $300 worth of rebates. I had to go about it as a job, it took up a whole evening. I had to get parts of it back from both BB and HP and each piece of the computer, tower, monitor and printer had seperate rebates and very specific requirements for each. I'm sure alot of people just give up.

thanks all for the info i found out my rebate is not taxable here in pa. however in n.j. it was. wound up saving with rebate 25% off sticker on my new sierra i'm pretty happy, dealer would not budge on price he actually found the truck i wanted in r.i. and is having it transported here to pa.

it was really time to replace my 91' silverado with 530,000 on the odometer

thanks again

john