Outdoor speakers????

oscarsear

Looking to put some sound out on my patio deck. I have a patio cover that is water proof which extends some 8ft over a 25ft deck. If I put speakers beneath or recessed in this deck cover do I necessarily need to use an outdoor speaker?? Keep in mind that temps will fall below zero F at times during the winter and I do not plan to winterize the system. The speakers will not have to tolerate any mositure at all. Thnx4.gif

Since your profile gives no real indication of where you live, I must assume the worst of conditions may prevail. If you plan to mount the speakers anywhere beneath your cover, and if there is not 4 weather-tight sides to block the speakers' expose to the weather in general, then it is my belief that one should ALWAYS use speakers approved for outdoor placement. Rain or moisture does not have to physically touch the speakers to shorten their lives. Moisture produced by both, temperature extremes and humidity is capable of shortening the life of conventional speakers made for indoor-use only. Ultra-Violet rays from the sun (direct and reflected) are also a life-shortening ill. If it were up to me, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Naturally, the ultimate decision is up to you.

"Keep in mind that temps will fall below zero F at times during the winter and I do not plan to winterize the system. The speakers will not have to tolerate any mositure at all."

The speakers will still be exposed to humidity when it rains during warmer weather. I just bought a pair of Klipsch outdoor speakers. I think they were about $325. They are somewhat the equivilent of a pair of Synergy B-3 speakers, I think. They sound pretty good and I hope they will last. They are also mounted under a canopy. I would not expect speakers actually exposed to the sun and the rain to last very long no matter their designation as weather resistant.

Cheers,

Northwest Bob

I am also in the market. I stopped by Tweeters and my salesman let me hear everything they offered (no Klipsch of course). Although I haven't pulled the trigger yet, the top-of-the-line Polk outdoor speakers were not only the biggest and best sounding they had to offer, but he said he'd let me have a pair for $269 (seemed more than fair). They really sounded pretty darn good and will sound even better with my gear.

I plan on attaching the brackets to the window molding (old house with wood windows) by my concrete patio. There is an overhang one story above but only a couple feet so they'll get hit during heavy downpours, but not too bad. I'll probably bring them in during the winter months.

No more dragging out the heresys although I was seriously contemplating a pair of KG3s or the like. I'd have to drag them out each time but they aren't too heavy, they sound better and they cost less. Hmmm, I may have to reconsider......4.gif

Klipsch's SA series of outdoor speakers are great! My brother in law bought a pair when I was down in South Texas visiting. He is running them off the 2nd zone of his Denon AVR-4800 through a NAD 116 preamplifier and an Adcom GFA-535 amplifier and they sound great! They were the smallest ones the SA-1's or SA-2's? Much better than anything recommended so far for sure.