K-43 locked up

TWSCOMP

Just trying to bring this to the top again:

When laying the speakers on the floor, and gently pressing on the cone, the cone doesn't move AT ALL!!! If I press harder, it STILL won't move, even though the CONE begins to distort from my finger pressure. If I were to press ANY harder, I'd punch a HOLE in the cone. When I mean they don't move, I mean THEY DON'T MOVE AT ALL!!!! NO scraping sound, because there is NO MOTION!! I have had some speaker guys say they suspect the center pole on the magnet probably has popped loose, and is pinching the voice coil against the outside magnet ring.

Does this sound feasible?

cwm45.gif

I hate to confirm the bad news but yes that is entirely possible. I am curious about your using the plural "speakers" - Are you having this problem on a pair of speakers or on only one unit?

The centre pole problem could occur because of a severe physical jolt to the speaker such as having been dropped or perhaps having been whacked by a forklift in the warehouse etc. or might be the result of a manufacturing defect such as a bad weld or a bad press fitting as the result of uneven pressure from a press.

Has this speaker ever worked for you?

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

Bummer Dude !!

I suggest replacing both drivers with a properly matched pair as been suggested by a respondant in another post. In any event you are only a few hundred bucks away from audio heaven! Those La Scalas are gorgeous and might even make Bee Gees disco stuff listenable ---Err Uhmm NAAAAAH!!

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

Buying 2 K33-E woofers from Klipsch is probably the way to go - I think you'd be pleased with them.

One thing you might try on your locked up woofer is to lift the cone a little bit from underneath to release the edge of the voice coil if its stuck on the lip of the basket. I had a woofer do this once, however, when I freed it up, it had a buzz at certain frequencies and I had to have it reconed. Does the cone look protruded?

Also, if the pole shifted, the woofer may be shot. Pole realignment can be difficult, and if not done with great precision, the driver will buzz at certain frequencies.

Warm regards,

KG

• 4 years later...

That's an old one there Steve. Lynn hasn't been with us for some time. I miss his wit.

If a speaker is mounted in any houseing at all (cabinet), I'd think it would have to be one heck of a jolt for the magnet to shift enough to pinch the voice coil. The cabinet itself would destruct to absorb most of the impact, but it would take enormous force for anything attached to the basket to move one iota.

Now a woofer outside of a cabinet would be a different issue. I think that is why many designs have the magnet 'cap' on the back.

Michael

Guest " "

I have a set of used but functional k-33's...email me if you want to work out a deal taking your non working k-43's in as partial trade.

Thank you for the info Michael, that is what I suspected - this is a K-48-E in an undamaged cabinet.

I have a set of used but functional k-33's...email me if you want to work out a deal taking your non working k-43's in as partial trade.

Actually it is a K-48-E (Chorus/Chorus II) that is locked up.

In addition, I may be able to use a pair of K-48-K to replace a mismatched pair (good K-43-KP mated with a K-48-K that is rubbing)

What about Bob's (BEC) CT1526 woofer? It has the specs of the pre-1985 K-33 woofers that PWK himself required. I believe they are priced similar to the Klipsch K-33E.

Just a thought.

I am not sure what kind of trouble I could get into (crossover network wise) if I were to replace K-48-E (Chorus/Chorus II) or a Pro K-48-K (KP-301) with a standard K-33 variant.

Michael, how much for a single K-33 (presuming you're willing)

Also for others, any idea how much a K-33 is from Klipsch or from BEC?

I bought Jon's empty LaScala box and will need to obtain a SINGLE crossover (done), tweeter (done), midrange horn (done) squawker (not done) and K-33 (not done).

Guest " "

Don't have a single one available. I have an up coming project that could use 2 k-33's or 2 k-43's. I could recone the k-43 with the problem, assuming there was an actual pair of them...which sounds like it may no longer be the case.

If you are looking for ball park costs on k-33's "new", I have seen them for 99.00 not klipsch branded and 129.99 "klipsch" branded on ebay. Used on e-bay I have seen them for as cheap as 50 bucks a pair (stained, dented cones, mixed match with round and square magnets, etc).

If I see a single one on ebay, I'll let you know.