Famous DeanG X-Overs... eas

Anakin26

Well... large desire makes space relative I guess! 2.gif

I am looking into having a small system installed in my company´s meeting room. I think it would be a nice fringe benefit for my employees to be able to watch a nice movie after work.

Hmm.... just checked my KSW-15. No LFE-out. But there is a speaker in and speaker out terminal. Got to check on the manual what this terminal does. Maybe I could connect my surrounds there!

One pair of RS-7s will work as "normal surrounds" replacing the RS-3s. The other pair will replace the RB-15s as rear surrounds. I am actually happy to have the RS-7s instead of the bookshelf speakers as this will blend in with the system better. I also think they will produce a more "enveloping" sound in the rear. But even if I did want to have an RC-7 or bookshelfs it wouldnt be possible, as my dealer only sells the set "as is".

I was wondering: Do you have your RF7-s toed in to your listening position? I found that this improves the soundstage of the RF-3s a lot. I will not be able to position the RF-7s at the exact same angle, because the space for the left speaker is VERY small.

Schönen Abend!

Nick

----------------

On 8/5/2005 11:07:06 AM Anakin26 wrote:

Well... large desire makes space relative I guess!
2.gif

Hmm.... just checked my KSW-15. No LFE-out. But there is a speaker in and speaker out terminal. Got to check on the manual what this terminal does. Maybe I could connect my surrounds there!

One pair of RS-7s will work as "normal surrounds" replacing the RS-3s. The other pair will replace the RB-15s as rear surrounds. I am actually happy to have the RS-7s instead of the bookshelf speakers as this will blend in with the system better. I also think they will produce a more "enveloping" sound in the rear. But even if I did want to have an RC-7 or bookshelfs it wouldnt be possible, as my dealer only sells the set "as is".

I was wondering: Do you have your RF7-s toed in to your listening position? I found that this improves the soundstage of the RF-3s a lot. I will not be able to position the RF-7s at the exact same angle, because the space for the left speaker is VERY small.

Schönen Abend!

Nick

----------------

Ya Wol,2.gif

Insofar as the Ksw 15, no it doesn't have the LFE out (I have that sub at work;-)Also don't connect the surrounds there.

My only thoughts (not that you asked) about having 2 sets of side surrounds (especially both being WDST speakers and that large) so close together is how much information is being "sprayed" around in such a close area.

It appears that you sit right up against the back wall. I have a similar situation in my bedroom when we lay down and watch a movie. I have a 5.1 setup in there and have the RS-3's (WDST spkrs) on the side walls. It sounds great. I tried to go to a 7.1 system but it was too much (especially for my wife). I put both bookshelf (RB-5's) and WDST (SS-1) in the rear and had to agree it was too much. Just something to consider. Everyone's room is different. As they say YMMV (i.e. your mileage may very) or should I say YKMV. 9.gif {edit: keep the 15's just in case--It may save you some Euros}

Yes I have my 7's toed in and I can see the back of the throat of all my horns.

Yepp... no LFE out on the KSW-15. I will leave it linked to my amps lfe as it is right now. BUT what I could do is, buy, lets say, a ksw-12 or 2 ksw-10 and link them to my surrounds via the rear speaker terminals on the sub(s). This way the signal below 100hz will be cut off and sent to the sub. Everything above will go to the speakers. Might add some serious punch to the surround channel this way.

The way the SB-15s are mounted right now works great. Even when sitting so close to the rear wall the rear surrounds complete the sound perfectly.

I will try the RS-7s in the rear and see how they perform.

By the way: Have you every watched "Open Range"? You should get the special edition, which includes DTS 6.1 discrete sound. The rain scene in the beginning is a great example of what a good sound mix can do.

Hmm... toeing them in enough to see the throat of the horns should be possible. I just won´t get the same angle as my RF-3s have at the moment. If I dont like it that way, I will throw the little white tables out. 11.gif

Have a nice evening!

----------------

On 8/5/2005 2:27:06 PM Tom Adams wrote:

Yo Ana and tk.....why don't you guys just pick up the phone and call each other??
3.gif2.gif

Just pickin'.......
1.gif

Tom

----------------

Sorry Tom. I forgot some of you folks have that subscription thing engaged. I will mention the email feature to nick. 2.gif {edit: I forgot how serious you "updates and Mod" fellows were10.gif)=}

Oops! 10.gif

Well... maybe we should open an "US-European communication thread"?

I would go for the call if Tom pays the phone bill. 9.gif

Let me see... Austria to Texas.. thats probably just a few thousand miles! Can´t be that expensive, can it? 2.gif

Ok... seriously. Let´s switch to email tk - Keeping the rest of our conversation top secret!

10.gif10.gif

Good night!

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dean!

I have taken apart my RF-7s during the weekend. Apart from fixing the foam inserts, which were partially blocking the rear ports, and tightening the various connections I took pictures of the crossovers.

Would you be so kind and tell me which part is to be replaced by which new part? (was that a correct english sentence?!?)

Thanks a lot!

Nick

Anakin,

I have heard Primare equipment to be of very high quality, you are lucky. Dean seems to be a pretty busy guy, maybe sending him a "message" will get through to him. He has done my 7's and 4.2's.

Dean G's "famous X-over's"...?

.....heck I was told by someone on another forum his X-over's are "legendary".

Hi Pat!

Primare equipment is a story of its own. When it comes to sound quality it is hard to beat (price/performance ratio). Especially the DVD-30 is one excellent piece of equipment. Apart from beeing a very good dvd-player it is an even better CD and SACD player, easily matching dedicated CD players. The same applies to SPA-20, which is a great multi-channel amplifier and an outstanding stereo amplifier.

Now to the downside... Primare is a Swedish product. And my god... it really is Swedish sometimes. The menus must have been programmed under heavy vodka influence, because it takes quite some time to figure out the "inner logic" for a sober person. The SPA-20 needs a hard reset every once in a while because the system simply crashes (no... Bill Gates has nothing to do with it in this case...). And as common with all Primare products, there are no fancy extra features. Theres no gadgets and gimmicks. These components are all about good sound and nothing else.

You either live with their little "moods" or you go and buy something else. ;-)

Thanks for the hint. I will send Dean an email!

Nice evening!

Nick

You guys are too funny -- all I do is solder in new parts.

I only ever posted pictures of the stock boards one time, and the next day they were removed from the forum. Look at them, all the parts are labeled with the values. Leave the coils alone, and just replace the capacitors and resistors. Use Mills non-inductive resistors and the high quality metallized polypropylene of your choice. You should be able to get Mundorf capacitors over there. Use the Supremes for the 5uF and 12uF values, and something a bit less expensive for the big 18uF and 16uF values. There is a mod I implement that simply involves paralleling a 10 ohm resistor with the 2 ohm resistor next to the 18uF cap. That's it!

Hi Dean!

Well Austrians are a bit funny sometimes. (You might know if you have seen "the sound of music".) Okay.... forget that. We are not runnig around singing and dancing waltz all day. ;-)

I already talked to Mundorf today. They where very helpful, eventhough their capacitors cost a fortune! The have come up with a new, even better capacitor topping their supreme capacitors. It´s the supreme silver/gold cap. To give you an impression... the 10mF cap costs approx. 160,- $.

Thanks for your help! I will post pictures, once the new x-overs are finished.

Have a nice day!

Nick