Kenny Wayne Shepherd

jpm

----------------

On 8/4/2005 8:09:02 AM mdeneen wrote:

One more comment---

One of the things disappointing to people exploring the blues masters is the lousy sound quality of many of the CDs or LPs. Usually, these players were at the bottom of the recording industry heap, and were lucky to be given a mic and a reel of tape. Many sound worse than your average bootleg tape.

This is a case where you have to forget the whole audiophile thing all together, and just enjoy the music. Which is plenty rewarding no matter how it sounds.

mdeneen

----------------

Very true, but I have a limit in terms of what is acceptable to listen to. In that sometimes the recording (more specifically the copy of the recording) is so bad that it ruins the music with in.

===========

Bingo. That's the essential difference between these very accomplished musicians, and some 50 or 60 year old guy who has lived the blues his whole life. I don't know how a 16 year old, or the latest wunderkind 12 year old blues player, could ever infuse the music with the essence of the blues. Good technical skills, no life experience.

mdeneen

----------------

The same could be said about those who listen to the blues though there are differing opinions when "the blues" officially started.

----------------

On 8/4/2005 9:33:26 AM mdeneen wrote:

" I just heard an ad for the latest, hottest blues guitarist. He is 11-year old Shane Stiller. 11! You kinda wonder what an 11-year old has to say, musically".

mdeneen

Hmmm,Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.1756-1791.

----------------

On 8/4/2005 10:36:52 AM mdeneen wrote:

Indeed, Mozart. I'm not a classical buff or student of his music - but were his early compositions at 5 or 6 or 11 considered important musically? I know his playing skills were quite advanced at that age.

mdeneen

----------------

]

I'm not sure Mark,but by age 11-12 Emperor Joseph II commissioned him to compose an opera(la finta semplice).I guess to have patronage of that calibre, at any age,Would indicate something special.I think that the same could be said of young musicians today,and their respective record companies.

Thanks for all the recommended artists, guys. I'm not solely interested in JUST the blues, or jazz, or classical, etc...

I just like music in general and if an artist like KWS or Johnny Lang cut a CD that tickles my fancy (even if it doesn't fall into a particular "category"), that's fine by me.

Know what I mean?

3.gif

My statement was intended as a somewhat dry humor, and was indicated by the over-bearing smiley. I do find it funnny(like a clown), when one is instructed to *not* listen to the gear, to hear the music. All musicians have a passion for what they do, but the bottom line is, can they do it for you?

I can't tell you what's good and what's not. Did you hear the "name" KWS, and curiosity struck?

I was watching a "car build" on TV the other night, and KWS was having a custom "General Lee" charger built for a show in Vegas. I heard him strum a few bars during the show and he sounded pretty trick, so I started to do some searching on him. Yeah, he isn't SRV, so what? Who is? I still like his music and that's what matters for me. He'll be beer-drinkin' background for my summer parties.

1.gif