That does it, Tubes for BS Button

BS Button

----------------

On 8/6/2005 8:46:35 PM BS Button wrote:

Where there is? Yeah, I've heard that this amp is one of the better Adcoms. Don't ask me what better is...maybe you know what they meant. So maybe the pre-amp is what astonished me?

----------------

I shouldn't of came down on adcom so hard. I did listen to them for years and enjoyed them for a long time. I agree the 535 was one of their best sounding amps paired with klipsch. I never tried a tubed pre with adcom and that might of been a very nice pairing.

I tend to get caught up in the what i am listening to now trend. I had picked up an ST-70 from a dealer years ago and tried it for about 30 days with my chorus II's. AT that time in my life i was enjoying adcom. The ST-70 was so much smoother but didnt have the "slam factor" of the adcoms. So at the time i dismissed it and moved on.

I am still yet to own a scott integrated. I haven't even given those a chance and i would probably be pleasantly surprised.

BS, by no means did i intend to come across as if adcom is inferior. I have just moved apart from them and as always am still searching for the "holy grail".

If you listen to it and like it buy it. It's all about the enjoyment.

Good luck and by all means have fun.9.gif

Thanks Todd,

You just renewed my interest in a tube experiment. I have a great uncle who lives about an hour away. I have an old table from my grandpa that his daughter wants. Think I'll pay Uncle Don a visit and arrange a swap. Last time we spoke he said something about a Klipsch Shorthorn he built from a kit, and some old amplifier 'you wouldn't be interested in it- it's tubes' that I'd bet might be Dynaco.

If it's a Heathkit, should I hook it up anyway and test drive it? btw, Uncle was an EE for Delco- so he knows his stuff.

Michael

Nothing wrong with a Heathkit CP1. They used very good transformers by Accrasound(sp?) on many of their models. Hooking up a long dormant amp to without proper conditioning especially to your supurb Klipsch speakers is not a good idea. Maybe your uncle can help you bring her back to life. He sounds like a great resource for you.

Rick

Stormin,

No, I found myself becomming critical of the Adcom, after listening to the Dynaco. I want Adcom criticism and appreciate all your thoughts. Apology not accepted or needed! Blast away.

Colter,

I too wondered at what point my fascination would shift from that of speaker to amplification. Since January, I've purchased and somewhat modded my Cornwalls: acquired enough parts to build a Cornscala: bought a beater pair of Decorator Heresy's, that I'm going to re-veneer. Send sets of drivers to Crites for new diaphragms, etc. etc. etc. I was never a believer in tubes, and now I am, absolutely. I've listening to the Khorns at Woodogs with his Nosvalves modded Scott equipment, absolutely the best!

Todd

Looking at your square wave response (transients) from your record thru your cartridge being rounded off the leading edge, (A-B comparison with the same music on the CD will give you a mushy cymbal hit from the record compared to the CD)and then running it thru your tube pre-amp rounding it off more, then thru your tube amp rounding it off more, and finally the Klipsch speakers which round it off a bit more, and you have cymbal hits that sound like mushy pizza. Tubes are really great for target practice but lately all you tube guy's are getting in the way.

JJK