480/720/1080 Question

louis

I watched a movie on hd tv and I was suprised how much better it looked. I would assume comcast processed signal and made it hd .If I get one of those dvd players that goes to 1080 and play will it look the same . The movie was about 10 years old and I have on dvd but never looked that good my dvd player is philips 963sa with blackgate louis

The best picture you are going to be able to get over 3 component video cables, from a currently available DVD player on an HD ready set, is 480P. It is a considerably better picture than 480i. If your TV has a DVI connection you will be able to upconvert to either 1080i or 720p, but the DVD is still recorded in 480i. IMO, on SOME movies, the upconversion through the DVI at a higher rate looks slightly better than the 480p source.

All that being said movies on the HD channels will have a better (sometimes only slightly/ edit: on older movies sometimes considerably) picture than from a upconverting DVD player. 1.gif

----------------

On 8/8/2005 5:51:31 PM zamboniman wrote:

and if you really dig around you will find some players that will upconvert over component (if this is important to you). Probably not at the local big box store.... but if you do some online shopping for some of the off name brands

----------------

The only one I heard of was a Zenith model (I think that was it) and the industry QUICKLY got them to change the format. I haven't heard of any since. {edit: I believe there was 1 more made by the same company, just sold under a different name. FYI: We are talking 720p/1080i. 480p can be upconverted over component}

----------------

On 8/8/2005 6:22:11 PM NatGun wrote:

HD > DVD...

yes, the new HD-DVD/Blue-Ray players will have similar if not superior image quality.

----------------

Neither one of those formats have been introduced yet and won't make the current DVD's look any better than they do on currently available players. 1.gif

----------------

On 8/8/2005 6:11:33 PM tkdamerica wrote:

----------------

On 8/8/2005 5:51:31 PM zamboniman wrote:

and if you really dig around you will find some players that will upconvert over component (if this is important to you). Probably not at the local big box store.... but if you do some online shopping for some of the off name brands

----------------

The only one I heard of was a Zenith model (I think that was it) and the industry QUICKLY got them to change the format. I haven't heard of any since. {edit: I believe there was 1 more made by the same company, just sold under a different name. FYI: We are talking 720p/1080i. 480p can be upconverted over component}

----------------

I have one of said Zenith players, the 318, and was lucky enough to purchase one just before Zenith caved and eliminated upscaling via component outputs. Yes, my Zenith upscales via component. It also upscales via HDMI but that picture is inferior due to white crush issues. The quality of Zenith's upscaled HD is similar to what most characterize as network-quality HD or 720. Not true HD or 1080 but a noticeable improvement over 480. You might be able to still find a preowned Zenith 318 before the elimination of component upscaling, but its a risk that you might end up getting one after the switch. Most upscalers that I have looked at truly upscale only to about 720 or so, even though they claim 1080. Again, that being said, the picture looks quite a bit better than 480.

For upscalers, I think your only available remaining options is to have a newer TV that supports HDMI. The conglomerate or whatever it is called wants the upscalers to only output using this method because supposedly it is copy-proof.

Carl.

I would check into the Denon 2910. Someone may recommend a cheaper model, but I have had no issues regarding picture quality upconverting to 720p. I also play SACD's and DVD-A's and they sound wonderful. You will also have to buy a DVI cord. {edit: FYI, The 2910 uses the same video processing the higher end 3910 uses--I have no experience with the Denon 1910}

Louis, to answer your original question, an Up-Converting DVD player will not necessarily make the movie look as good as it did on HDTV. The TV station probably has access to the original source material, and is giving you "real" HDTV and not just Upconverted DVD quality. If that makes sense to you.

For those that need upconversion over component..... The 2 most popular ones are by Momitsu and NeuNeo. The Momitsu has a huge following and the NeuNeo is the new kid that will output 1080p component with amazing quality for upconversion. Assuming your display can take that kind of input. Otherwise as TDK said you will have to find one of the big box versions that was made prior to a fix.

----------------

On 8/9/2005 10:17:00 AM zamboniman wrote:

For those that need upconversion over component..... The 2 most popular ones are by Momitsu and NeuNeo. The Momitsu has a huge following and the NeuNeo is the new kid that will output 1080p component with amazing quality for upconversion. Assuming your display can take that kind of input. Otherwise as TDK said you will have to find one of the big box versions that was made prior to a fix.

----------------

I stand corrected. 2.gif IMO, after reading through the comments on several threads at the AVS forum it appears that upconverted 480p through component on a considerable number of better made players, would give you every bit as good of a picture, if not better than those upconverted on the Momitsu & NeuNeo at 1080i or 720p. It depends on the scaler in your TV. I also realize YMMV. 1.gif