Hanging Cornwalls

cool_blue

Anyone hanging there Cornwalls from the ceiling ? A bit crazy sounding im sure, but I have to share my lsitening room with my studio and floor space is very limited now. I was in a jazz club (Club Blue in Daegu??) in Korea a few years back that had there Cornwalls hung from the ceitling and I remember them sounding fine. c_b

Does it have to be from the cieling or is there a wall nearby too? I have often seen larger speakers like the cornwall "hung" by putting them on TV stands (the kind that bold to the wall and then have a platform that comes out and can swivel and tilt and all that).

If you had to hang them from the cieling, then I would go about constructing a platform suspended by threaded rod that bolts to a board laying across the cieling joists. Then go about strapping in the speaker and then you can loosen and tighten the bolts under the platform to adjust the tilt of the speaker.

i think they would sound great if they were pointed downward at the right angle. if i had a pair of CBR corns i think i would carefully drill pilot holes into the back edge of cabinet sides and attack some sort of heavy duty brackets with steel screws. 2 brackets on each side. one near the top, one near the bottom. i would drill pilot holes to reduce chance of splitting the plys apart when putting the screws in. i think i would even put glue on the screws before i put them in. i think over time the bass could loosen the screws with out glue. if you are ever in HSBC arena in buffalo check out how they have the la scalas suspended. speaking of la scala's, theres a pair in watertown N.Y.. if i owned them i would hang them from the rafters just so i wouldnt have to look at them.

WCCWs1.jpg

Wendy Carlos, famous for her "Switched On Bach" electronically synthesized transcriptions of Bach's compositions, had a Manhatten studio in the '70s (I think) that had four Cornwalls suspended from her ceiling, probably due to a lack of space I would presume...

post-11084-13819269098912_thumb.jpg

I would be hesitant just screwing holes into the speaker and then hanging it that way...there have been many a PA speaker where the seals in the cabinet give way and you end up with a speaker on the floor (or worse, on top of someone now laying on the floor). I'm not sure how much of an issue it would be specifically with the cornwall, but I would look into bracing it first...

though wendy's method doesn't seem as much of a concern as what i originally picture in my head (drilling just two holes in the top)

as far as bass response goes, you'll want to hang the speakers inverted anyway to get that tweeter away from the cieling (which will help couple the woofer to cieling kinda like how it couples to the floor).

You can go to www.wendycalos.com to see her CWs. Look in the photo archive and specifically the brownstone studio. Unfortunately I can't quite make out the means used, i.e. whether there is a platform underneath . . . maybe you can.

There may be other photos on her site.

Gil

Rather than hang them (on chains) I would recommend some sort of rigid wood or metal frame instead.

I would think that moving cone mass pushing alot of air tend to impart motion to freely suspended speakers, even heavy ones. Equal and opposite reactions, and all that.

I don't remember seeing any hanging speakers in any clubs I have been in, only rigidly mounted ones.

DM

exploded la scalas.jpg

Or like this college student, you can rip out your horns and hang them halfhazardly from your ceiling using fishing line (don't ask me about his size 50" waist britches tacked to his wall...must be a Generation X thing)!6.gif

post-11084-13819269100912_thumb.jpg

I knew someone would post the Carlos' photos. Thanks JT!

For secure hanging, you should use a minimum of three distinct hanging points, disassemble cabinet, and run either threaded rod entirely through the cabinet (through 6-8 holes) to the bottom side. The bottom of the rods should have large area washers and nuts, but most importantly steel L or C channel between two hanging points to support the weight of the cabinet. In this way, the cabinet structure does NOT become part of the hanging mechanism. You must eliminate the cabinet weaknesses from the hanging mechanism. Then each hang point should be firmly anchored, in the case of residential construction, to a threaded eye bolt securely attached to the center of a framing member like ceiling joist, capable of withstanding the additional weight.

It is extremely dangerous to hang cabinets in a public place, an engineer and professional sound contractor should make the decisions. THERE IS EXTREME LEGAL LIABLITY FOR PUBLIC SAFETY IN SUCH AN INSTALLATION!

A lot of times, when really heavy speakers like Bozaks are "flown," they'll have threaded rods run all the way through the speaker so the ends come out the bottoms. Then the washers and nuts are attached so the weight is actually supported from the bottom. I've seen the top get ripped from a LaScala that was hung only from the top - it wasn't a pretty sight. Real loud, though.