Klipsch K-horn/La Scala amplifer

Welcome to the 100 year war: amplifiers & speaker matching!

In your profile, please specify your system: amps, subs, room size, most tastes, preferred volume level, etc. This will give thoughtful posters more of the right information they need to make insightful suggestions. Thanks.

10.gif

I drove my K-horns with a pair of class-A Mark Levinson ML-2's for 2 decades, thought they were very good, clean amps. The 331's have a nice, low sensitivity (1.3 v in for 100 watts out) which I think should help reduce thermionic noise with high-efficiency horns.

Larry

I just wanted to tell you that a good friend of mine has a Levinson 331 and a pair of Klipshorns and the sound is amazing.

This amp and speaker match up is really something, IMHO.

You should get hold of a pair of horns and see how you like it.

The 331 is my next amp after hearing his set up.

here we go again

I would either take your time and do alot of reading in the archives or just stick with what Colin has to say. I would not fall prey to people who stand on pedestals or soapboxes preaching this or another.

granted you can learn alot, but I would stick with Colin since you already have the attention of a master reviewer.

I have heard levinson matched with klipschorns and they sounded great...do not worry about what is "correct" worry about what makes your music, in your room, with the rest of your system sound great. post more details as suggested earlier for better responses. regards, tony

It's a loaded question and I suspect you will get 40 responses with 40 different answers. The one commonality will be a recomendation for "my amplifier".

It's interesting that the issue comes up so frequently with Klipsch speakers. Basically, they are a very easy load for an amplifier. They are both efficient and the impeadance does not drop very low. This is a dream situation. As a generalization: They do not require much power & they do not require a high current capability (for transients). Mush of the real difference between amps is audible when they are driving a difficult load. This will not be the case with the Klipsch systems you have mentioned.

One caveat however: due to their sensitivity, any noise/hiss/hum in the circuit will be easily heard. In this respect they are not forgiving. It must be a clean signal with clean amplification.

If you think you must pay a great deal of money for an amp, then please try an do an "A B comparison" before you write the check. Any quiet amp of a modest size will do fine. It would be difficult to hear any differences in an honest A / B comparison. On the other hand, if you were choosing an amp for an electrostatic speaker, then I would have a very different answer...

Good luck and enjoy.

-Tom