Forte' year, crossovers

Bonzo

yup, good call. WIth that format of number it's YY, WW, XXX built in that week. So you're were built the week between Christmas and New Years. Possibly New Years's Eve. Consider them party speakers. A lot of guys change the capacitors out to freshen the speakers. BEC (Bob Crites) on the Mods Forum provides this as a service. I think he can do most any speaker. Contact him directly.

btw, I found another Zep logo to use for my avatar, so you're the sole Bonzo now. Wear the badge proudly. And post a photo of your drum kit. If you don't have one, you'll have to do away with the Bonzo moniker I'm afraid.

Michael

Actually, the person you want to contact for crossover network upgrades for those speakers is Chris Munson (aka Popbumber) he specializes in the PCB based networks! He even custom designed his own PCB's to put the new components on. In addition, his networks are plug and play and allow you to leave the original network and wiring intact in the event you ever decide to sell the speakers to upgrade. All you need to do is remove his new networks and wiring and replace them with the originals.

The benefits of upgrading the networks in those speakers will really amaze you from a performance standpoint. I think the Forte' is perhaps one of the best sonically balanced Klipsch speakers and does sound fabulous right out of the box, the updated networks will bring them to a whole other level!

Thanks a bunch man! My kit is currently set up at my buddies place about 30 miles away from here. I have a mid 90's Tama Artstar kit, 5 piece with one 13" ride tom, 14" and 16" floors, 22" kick ala Buddy Rich. I am using Z A-customs, 22" ping ride, 18" and 19" crashes with new beat 15" hats, iron Cobra petal with a custom wood snare. Will try to get a picture next week, going out of town this weekend, NO GIGS!

I can vouch for Dean's work--he did my '89 Forte 'I' networks.

It would be interesting to know if Chris approaches it differently than Dean--

Essentially I think, with Dean, it is a parts upgrade/replacement of caps and resistor--but no change in values or function.

I would not know if there is any point in changing anything beyond that.....

(I have a drum kit too--a 1 piece drum kit....new Ryan Payne solid shell snare, made with 30 degree bearing edges, single flange, etc. 12" hats. A 20's thing)

Mark

I say chris as well, not because I think one is better than the other, but you dont have to lose the use of your speakers for more than the hour it would take to install the new networks. Quality, these are the networks he made for my Forte II. I cant even describe how happy I am with them.

post-16943-13819269148948_thumb.jpg

Chris' approach is similiar to mine with the Heritage boards -- pretty much all out. Chris offers a stand up product, with pretty much the best parts you can throw in there and still make it affordable. He uses the same caps and resistors I do, but also swaps out the inductors - which I don't. The PCB he designed is of the highest quality, and I think that's a good thing in and of itself. He designed 'The K-stack' so one could pretty much load it up with any parts they want. I work off the stock PCB that comes with the speaker, and since geography on the board is somewhat limited, I just stick will pulling the caps and resistors -- which I believe to account for most of the improvement anyways. I believe if the speakers a person is using is their long term solution for music -- they should go with the K-stack using the absolute best parts they can afford. If one is on a tighter budget, or is probably going to sell down the road so they can upgrade -- then I can get you most of the way there for less. Now, I don't give a hoot who you go with -- but you need to do it.

Hey Bonzo,

I have Chris' massive xover in my KLFC7 center and it absolutely ROCKS! You won't believe it when you look at the two side by side. The Kstack xover makes the Klipsch one look like it was made by Playschool. This is some serious hardware. And if you're a drummer, you LOVE hardware. Get it. It's an easy changeout.

Michael