Digitally remastered?

GOPHER

Here's a dumb question. I am starting to get into music a little more now that I have a good RF-7 setup. However, I think I need a lesson in what kind of CD's to buy. I like older music, like Ray Charles. I bought the movie soundtrack, and it sounds terrible. It sounds as if they have remastered the tracks and beefed up the treble so much that it has an artificial sound, full of hiss. I prefer the original sound, as if I had an old tube amplifier and original record with a relatively dim sound. Am I the only one who feels that older music on CD's sounds crummy? Or should I be looking for other clues as to how the CD is mastered or something? I'm confused, thanks for all replies..

Old Ray Charles LPs are dirt cheap and readily available. Why don't you get yourself a record player? Lots of here SWEAR by them! 2.gif

Seriously, I tend to agree with you about many CD releases. I have quite of few of the Blue Note RVG CDs that I bought before I set up a CD recorder in my system. They all seem to have boosted treble and bass. But that's true also of many "audiophile" vinyl issues as well. I think they do becuase most buyers EXPECT it.

I will really display my ignorance regarding this movie and the packaging of the various aspects.

I understand that Jamie Foxx actually performed in the movie (as opposed to simply syncing to Ray Charles' material). Are you sure the soundtrack is Ray, or might it be Jamie??

Ignore me if this is not the case.....

----------------------------------

Aside from that, much of the larger selling classic titles are now being re-released on CD in remastered form. These are often identified by additional unreleased material.

Generally, these have resulted in better more distinct mixes, with a few very notable exceptions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know!!! I know!!!!

If I were going to give a general guideline, look for the most recent re-master.

Of course, if you are referring to anything by King Crimson and Robert Fripp, you are on your own with his re-mix of the week. I mean, how many versions of "In the Court of the Krimson King" are there now??????

----------------

On 8/11/2005 6:38:44 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Old Ray Charles LPs are dirt cheap and readily available. Why don't you get yourself a record player? Lots of here SWEAR by them!
2.gif

Seriously, I tend to agree with you about many CD releases. I have quite of few of the Blue Note RVG CDs that I bought before I set up a CD recorder in my system. They all seem to have boosted treble and bass. But that's true also of many "audiophile" vinyl issues as well. I think they do becuase most buyers EXPECT it.

----------------

I have a couple old Ray Charles LPs and even those aren't that great. They do sound considerably better than the one CD I've heard.

The RVG series are pretty bad, I agree. The Japanese CDs sound the best to me, then the Blue Note releases that have a silver background with blue writing instead of the white background on the RVG series. I have no idea which came first. Lee Morgan's Cornbread is a good example of a non-RVG release that sounds a bit better to me.

----------------

On 8/12/2005 2:47:31 PM pauln wrote:

If you think about it, a vinyl signal is 40 bit resolution at the molecular level. Not bad at all for a rock scratching plastic!

----------------

Where'd you pull this bit depth out from?

Dragon, jamie just lipsync's it. He's turning out to be an incredible actor. But ray charles did teach him how to play a little bit of the piano before he passed.

-Joe

http://signal.ece.utexas.edu/seminars/dsp_seminars/01fall/AudioMyths.pdf

It came from here - this is one of those "debunking" things that is full of assertions and statements that we music listening types with which don't agree.

One of the slides includeds the "analog is 40-bit" line. This is not being debunked - it is included and accepted as an incidental fact in one of the set ups for a debunking argument about digital quantitization.

----------------

On 8/12/2005 2:56:18 PM Erukian wrote:

----------------

On 8/12/2005 2:47:31 PM pauln wrote:

If you think about it, a vinyl signal is 40 bit resolution at the molecular level. Not bad at all for a rock scratching plastic!

----------------

Where'd you pull this bit depth out from?

Dragon, jamie just lipsync's it. He's turning out to be an incredible actor. But ray charles did teach him how to play a little bit of the piano before he passed.

-Joe

----------------

Spacy doing Bobby Darin (sp?) was the real deal. Not to hijack, but I thought that his performance and the flick was very underrated.

Terry