project la scala from begining to who knows when done

thumperxes

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and another, but this project is kickin my but with the detai im puttin in to it i might just take a coupple of days off from it just so i dont get to the point that i start to rush it. if anyone actully reads this im considering sand blasting both horns and smothing out the k400 with a file and copper plateing both lenses whats your guys opinion on this i think this would be the final touch that would set these lascalas off the deep end

post-18125-13819269184492_thumb.jpg

just a touch of burnt siena to the paste wood filler u can see the natural color of the wood near the top inside or on the inside of the dog house if i dont use the burnt siena the large pores of the grain would look like there is white stuff in it so i had to tint the paste

top doesnt have poly on it or the front isnt done not even the right xover (heresy xover) oh and to top it off i have the heresy 12" in the box but i just couldnt wait to at least hear a little. sounds pretty good for not sounding the way it should. i really want to make the face plate out of real wood but i cant find any so im gonna have to try to glue up veneer to make the 3/4 thickness i need just didnt want to go this rought but it will take a bit more time but it will be worth it when i give the edge a slight radius and still see grain instead of plywood or for temp. ill paint the plywood black but dont know yet. im defintly in love withe these speakers thanks everyone for your replys and comments2.gif

post-18125-13819269185132_thumb.jpg

well since it is hard to find pomele sapeli wood in 3/4 thick for the face for the horns what i am doing is taking 34 peices of veneer and glueing them up to make a chunk of wood once i have done all the peices i'll assemble them like a cabinate face frame with pocket holes on the back side and then press a clean face on top to hide the seams. the reason im going through this trouble is cause i dont want to see plywood edges around the horn, or paint it black or even edge band the inside edge and leave 90 degree corners i want to see the radius edges around the horn this will be alot of work but worth it.

post-18125-13819269588528_thumb.jpg

Man, that is just awesome. What a fun project. It's great to have the tools at work so the majority of the project is free. I do the same with the tools I have available but it's mostly machine shop stuff - mills, lathes, surface grinders, etc. Having wood shop & veneering tools available - what a bonus to the hi-fi lover. You are gonna love those speakers. People won't believe you built them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lot of the cheap Ryobi tools. I thought I'd give them a try with my crews. We were having a lot of break downs with the Makita stuff, just not made like they used to be. The Ryobi's have held up as well as the Makita's for less than a 1/3 the price. The Ryobi impact driver is very good, even better than the Makita. The Ryobi cordless circular saw is nice, and the jigsaw works well too. The sawzall is kinda cheap though.

Greg

indyklipschfan thanks for the compliment on the speakers just building therm the way i think they should of been. if i would of made them of cherry i could of been done a long time ago but i like the exotic wood. i still hav a bit to go. i still want to have the horns copper plated. i think that it would make them look rich.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...