Chorus II or Forte II?

ajcllc

I have the original versions of each, not the II versions. I find the

Chorus has a larger soundstage, and more clarity in the mids and highs. The Forte's are stronger in the bass. Since I have a sub, I was able to compensate for the bass with the Chorus. If I could only pick one pair, if I had a sub I'd go for the Chorus. If no sub, I'd take the Forte.

For what it's worth, Julian Hirsch's review of the Forte in the July 1986 Stereo Review was more glowing than the review of the Chorus in February 1988. This is recollection - I still have the Forte review, but not the Chorus review. Maybe it's what I wanted to remember, because I bought Forte's in 1987.

See http://www.roger-russell.com/magrevsr2.htm#sr1987

Hmm -- your sig says you're building a home theater, and you're asking in home theater, and you want to know which is more mucical? Interesting. 1.gif

If I could only have two speakers in the room, I'd pick the Forte II over the Chorus II. That extra bit of bass they have makes them sound a little fuller, a little better balanced. OTOH, if I had my HT's subwoofer(s) to throw into the mix, I'd pick the Chorus II. Chorus IIs make great HT speakers -- big, full, clear, smooth, and fully able to pummel you into your seat if you ask them to.