DVD-Audio on a DVD

dgb

Has anyone used a DVD-A title on a regular DVD player? How is the sound of the lower rez layer? There are a few titles I wouldn't mind picking up to replace some of the brutal CDs from the 80s.

Anyone have any experience with DVD-A in general? Is it worth picking up a cheap player (don't want to put too much into it, as I see "Betamax" or "DCC" written all over the fomat)?

• Like 1

Opinions vary on inexpensive universal players such as the $100 Pioneer (or the $350 Denon 1920). Some say they sound great. Others say a decent redbook CD player sounds better playing CDs than a $100 SACD player does playing SACDs. I would have thought that the higher resolution of the source would make inexpensive player sound great, but I have not yet bought a player and have little experience with them.

Make sure you have a higher end receiver and then just use some type of digital audio cable, you choice I guess, and use the receivers DACs.

That's pretty high-end to transfer DVD-A digitally... Notice he mentionned picking up a cheap player, and those won't output DVD-A or SACD digitally either.

The digital output is a moot point, my reciever only has 2-channels, all analouge baby. :) Ultimately I'm wondering if the DVD-VIDEO 48/24 layers on these DVD-As is worth the price? I suppose I could just cough up the $14 and find out.

• Like 1

dgb, do you like R.E.M.? My wife and I do. So much that I think (will have to check) I have two of R.E.M's greatest hits 88-2003 on DVD-A. One is the DVD-A with regular CD combination that I am keeping; the other is just the DVD-A. However is might be SACD. If it is DVD-A and you want it you can have it.

At any rate if you send me your address to rplace@*NoSpam*mantistech.com I will mail it out to you. This will be my pay back for another forum member giving me a Rolling Stones Some Girls LP that I was after.

All you have to do is figure out what to remove from my email above and it is yours to mess with. If you can't use it pass it on to another forum member.

Buy a really nice 6-pack of beer with that 14 bucks. Something like Celebrator or Hogarten.

I found a Mitsubishi DD-8020 on Ebay for $49. It was originally $400 and is DVD-A and HDCD compatible. I have a pre-DVD-A flagship player from Mitsu and it was a terrific sounding machine. Although since it was progressive scan and HDCD in 1999/2000 it was $750! Ouch.

• Like 1