$325,000 Horn Speakers

oscarsear

I checked out their seperate tweeter package on the web site . Their Pizeo seperate is claimed to be functional to 50Khz . I can't remember hearing of a home audio component going that high . Oh well it's maximum spl is only 111db . So I guess it's pretty much useless . LOL ! 10.gif

It is interesting and noteworthy that most of the worlds BIG dollar speakers use horns; usually radial. They can make great sound with a few horns whereas BIG $ cone speakers end up with as many as ten separate components/speaker. Look closely at these big horns...there made out of carbon fibers...spacey stuff.

Ah, and well they should Oscarsear! The essence of a horn is to begin with a nearly perfect wave, albeit small and weak, and "grow" it along the length of a properly tapered horn until it enters the listening area... still as nearly perfect but robust with power!

Properly engineered Big Horns inherently provide a more honest sound because they start small, relatively speaking, and maintain aural purity through the wave growing process.

Part of the genius of Paul Klipsch was to design a commercially viable horn by folding it into a cabinet and the adjacent corner walls that extend the horn effect. The patented Klipschorn horn design jump starts the sound building process by putting a rather large speaker in the "small" end of a folded horn. The results? Magnificent! -HornEd

----------------

On 8/19/2005 6:25:44 AM 1BigBore wrote:

Is it just me, or do those big red horns look like they should be in a Dr.Seuss book?

1BB----------------

Thought I saw some speakers like this hanging from ceiling of the "#1 Club" in Landstuhl, Germany back many years ago.

Anyway, they're uglier than my beer gut! Super low WAF!

Actualy I don't find them to be ugly , allthough I think the other ones in their line look better . But heck for the money I could buy a pair of the Wilson Alexandrias and have 200K left over to get their 8' tall 700Lb X-2 sub and those trick oxygen free Unobtainium speaker cables that I have been wanting . 10.gif

post-18289-1381926927438_thumb.jpg

As it happens there is a Greek distributor for this make here in Athens. I have not yet been to listen but Tony has. His response - Don't bother. I stress, however, that these were the little cheapie units at only $40,000. Tony prefered the sound of the Triangle speakers they had there - and those were about $5000.

They dont appear to be very good value for money and I would be very surprised if even the big ones weren't smoked by the Avantegard Trio (at one tenth of the price even the Trio starts to look like a bargain).