Best $500 power amp for use with Cornwalls?

JSharp

Are you happy with the Crown sound? If so, then go look into the D75A. Also a used McIntosh MC250 or MC2100 (50 watts and 100 watts respectively), for warm, tube-like sound from classic SS amps. And Carver TFM-35x would also work great with your Cornwalls (I know), along with Carver's M-400t, M-500t, M-1.0t, etc. Consider Adcom as well, like their GFA-5400, or Aragon's 2004 MK2.

BTW...except for the Crown, all these amps have been used by myself and my brothers.2.gif

----------------

On 8/19/2005 2:03:09 PM Colin wrote:

Cant see your profile, so I cant say:

please specify your system: # of channels now and planned, amps, subs, room size, acoustic treatments, EQ, music source, music and movie preferences, percent of movie versus music listening, preferred volume level, must have features, etc

10.gif
----------------

We'll also need your SO's underware size, the name of your first pet, the last four numbers of your SS number, how many hats you own, whether you drive to work or carry your lunch, etc.....

Michael

----------------

On 8/19/2005 8:40:12 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

----------------

On 8/19/2005 2:03:09 PM Colin wrote:

We'll also need your SO's underware size, the name of your first pet, the last four numbers of your SS number, how many hats you own, whether you drive to work or carry your lunch, etc.....

Michael

----------------

LMAO

----------------

On 8/19/2005 2:59:31 PM JSharp wrote:

I don't care one way or the other about "tube upkeep" even if it does exist. This is a hobby.
;)

I did mean just a power amp. I'll probably keep my old IC-150 preamp for a while. I have parts coming to mod it since it's easy - OPA627's, polypropylene caps, fully regulated supply, etc.

----------------

You could sell the pre to help pay for the 233 or something like it. Just a thought........

I'm guessing it would be hard to find nice Dynacos in that price range.

----------------

On 8/19/2005 3:11:58 PM sunnysal wrote:

I like the Dynaco MkIVs at that price level, hard to beat the sound of PP EL34! regards, tony

dyna-mkiv-kit-02.jpg"
----------------

Whoa, I love that unbuilt Mark IV Sunnysal. Ok, amp for $500 to use on Cornwalls. I'll state the obvious and reccommend a Dynaco ST70. Those can be had for $500 in pretty decent shape. You can mod the hell out of them or use them in stock form. I really like them in stock form. They're great for $500. I think a decent pair of Mark III's is going to run closer to the $700+ range. Mark iV's a little cheaper.

I don't know much about Soild State in that price range. Adcom has a pretty good reputation for reasonably priced stuff. I'm done now, I don't like working with price contraints2.gif

----------------

On 8/19/2005 10:10:29 PM scott0527 wrote:

----------------

On 8/19/2005 3:11:58 PM sunnysal wrote:

I like the Dynaco MkIVs at that price level, hard to beat the sound of PP EL34! regards, tony

dyna-mkiv-kit-02.jpg"
----------------

Whoa, I love that unbuilt Mark IV Sunnysal. Ok, amp for $500 to use on Cornwalls. I'll state the obvious and reccommend a Dynaco ST70. Those can be had for $500 in pretty decent shape. You can mod the hell out of them or use them in stock form. I really like them in stock form. They're great for $500. I think a decent pair of Mark III's is going to run closer to the $700+ range. Mark iV's a little cheaper.

I don't know much about Soild State in that price range. Adcom has a pretty good reputation for reasonably priced stuff. I'm done now, I don't like working with price contraints
2.gif

----------------

Agreed. An ST70 would work well in that price range.

----------------

On 8/19/2005 7:14:45 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Are you happy with the Crown sound? If so, then go look into the D75A. Also a used McIntosh MC250 or MC2100 (50 watts and 100 watts respectively), for warm, tube-like sound from classic SS amps. And Carver TFM-35x would also work great with your Cornwalls (I know), along with Carver's M-400t, M-500t, M-1.0t, etc. Consider Adcom as well, like their GFA-5400, or Aragon's 2004 MK2.

BTW...except for the Crown, all these amps have been used by myself and my brothers.
2.gif

----------------

I'm not unhappy with how what I already own sounds. The Crown stuff is pretty "hard edged" though with the Cornwalls. I did equipment for a few of the local rock bands in the 70's and this is the kind of stuff we used there so it was logical to end up with that at home. And this is what live music equipment sounded like then. It needed the ability to play at high levels with low distortion which meant lots of power into horn loaded speakers, etc. And if you were in a studio you used the same kind or electronics but less power and speakers like JBL L100's

This thread has been informative but it makes me smile in a way. I've almost come full circle. I got in late enough that I never really listened to any tube stuff back then. In the 70's a person could have gotten as many of the old Dynacos as they wanted for almost nothing. People were nearly throwing that type of equipment away. I really wish I have paid more attention then instead or being caught up in what everyone else was using and what I "knew" I had to have....

Thanks for all the replies!

----------------

On 8/19/2005 9:57:20 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 8/19/2005 2:59:31 PM JSharp wrote:

I don't care one way or the other about "tube upkeep" even if it does exist. This is a hobby.
;)

I did mean just a power amp. I'll probably keep my old IC-150 preamp for a while. I have parts coming to mod it since it's easy - OPA627's, polypropylene caps, fully regulated supply, etc.

----------------

You could sell the pre to help pay for the 233 or something like it. Just a thought........

I'm guessing it would be hard to find nice Dynacos in that price range.

----------------

I mod stuff. I have to. So I have to keep things around to allow me to do that... 2.gif

If you are open to tubes then I'd have to recommend that you give it a try. I had good S/S but then tried tubes and I pretty much haven't looked back. Besides Scott and Dynaco, you should definitely consider Fisher. Fisher was one of the great audio builders in the 50's and 60's. Something that should fit well within your budget even after being refurb'd is a Fisher X-100 integrated amp. I think that it would be difficult to go wrong with any model tube Scott, Fisher or Dynaco. The big thing is that if it hasn't already been refurbished then you need to leave that in your budget. I have refurbished mine without using any "boutique" caps or resistors. I can't say whether the very expensive caps will sound better or not (I'd guess that they do) but I can say that none of the original manufactureres - Scott, Fisher, Dynaco, etc., - used expensive caps and their sound is fantastic. You can save some bucks on refurbishment by keeping the cost of the parts under control. If you do that, then you'll probably be hooked and if you don't love it then you should be able to sell pretty easily and without a loss.

----------------

... $750 shipped...

...how I got to that number, I was just going to buy a new Crown D75A

----------------

6.gif6.gif

Please do not spend $750 for a new D75A!!!!!

Even I am opposed to that, and these amps have been workhorses in studios for years!

You should not need to spend more then ~$175 for a mint condition D75A!! Shop around and be patient! They appear quite frequently!

----------------

On 8/20/2005 9:48:29 PM Duke Spinner wrote:

Get Rid Of The ICY-150 .....!

you'll like that DC 150 a whole lot better ....

Sorry but that is the WORST sounding product Crown ever made ....
----------------

They are a bit strident!

How's that for understatement!?2.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

On 8/20/2005 11:04:43 PM dragonfyr wrote:

----------------

----------------

They are a bit strident!

How's that for understatement!?
2.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

My ears are bleeding all the out here in Long Beach, CA!

OUCH!

----------------

On 8/20/2005 11:04:43 PM dragonfyr wrote:

----------------

----------------

They are a bit strident!

How's that for understatement!?
2.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

I'm hoping it'll be better with the Burr Brown OPA627 parts, new caps, better power supply, etc. If it's not, I'll sell it.

----------------

On 8/20/2005 9:40:51 PM dragonfyr wrote:

----------------

... $750 shipped...

...how I got to that number, I was just going to buy a new Crown D75A

----------------

"<a

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif">
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif">

Please
do not
spend $750 for a new D75A!!!!!

Even
I
am opposed to that, and these amps have been workhorses in studios for years!

You should not need to spend more then ~$175 for a mint condition D75A!! Shop around and be patient! They appear quite frequently!

----------------

I don't know where the $750 number came from. You can get brand new ones all day for $450-$500. I haven't looked for used ones yet.

unfortunately, the build quality on Crown stuff far exceeds the advances in circut design....ensuring thire ton's of them still working

it's the worst of the early S/S stuff

the Op-amps that were in there, were all that was availible back then ...

replacing tem will benefit the sound, but i would look for anything else ...

----------------

On 8/21/2005 11:26:37 AM Duke Spinner wrote:

unfortunately, the build quality on Crown stuff far exceeds the advances in circut design....ensuring thire ton's of them still working

it's the worst of the early S/S stuff

the Op-amps that were in there, were all that was availible back then ...

replacing tem will benefit the sound, but i would look for anything else ...

----------------

The IC-150 circuit actually doesn't look horrible if you modify it for use with modern parts. You can dump the output blocking caps and get rid of all the nasty op amp compensation circuitry since the original parts were uncompensated but the 627's are. And it's a just a single op amp in the signal path of each channel.