painting cones

Change in focal length has always been one of my concerns. I have 16mm Nikon fisheye and my 28mm is my main candid lens. WOuldn't want to just see a portion of the image as with digital. Been waiting for 24x36 mm (full fram) chip to come out at a reasonable price.

Remember- the pioneers had arrows in their backs (motto: it costs a lot to stay at the state-of-the-art). I'll let the others do the R&D for me, my film cameras still take great shots and I can digitally manipulate whenever I want.

Michael

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For someone that defends the advantages of the analog film format over digital, how dare you support the use of CDs or even worse paint a woofer and ignore the changes in sound!!! 14.gif

(and since online chatting doesn't express the tone of voice, this comment was intended 100% sarcastically. Analog film is way better (though I had no clue until Colter introduced me to his ART), CDs sound great and painting the woofer won't have an audible difference).

Sounds like you've got yet another project to show off at my next visit...speaking of which, now that I'm down at the campus, when are we going to run that inhouse wiring and finally get that insulation up in your attic? 2.gif Btw, do you have much paint left over? I might be interested in buying off the rest of the can and doing this to a pair of K-22's that will end up in my car (though at $10/can I suppose I can just purchase my own too, lol)

----------------

On 8/20/2005 6:09:20 PM IB Slammin wrote:

EDIT: In the pro Photo world...maybe we are asking him to use Bose
16.gif

----------------

lol!

Seriously though, you guys have gotta see some of his work and then you would totally start appreciating some of the subtleties of analog photography. I've got a lot of friends who do analog only, but I've never felt that it was that much better than digital until I snuck a few peaks at colter's stuff. I guess it's along the lines of the difference between art and utility (kinda like music has been the last few years).

----------------

On 8/20/2005 6:25:07 PM DrWho wrote:

----------------

On 8/20/2005 6:09:20 PM IB Slammin wrote:

EDIT: In the pro Photo world...maybe we are asking him to use Bose
16.gif

----------------

lol!

Seriously though, you guys have gotta see some of his work and then you would totally start appreciating some of the subtleties of analog photography. I've got a lot of friends who do analog only, but I've never felt that it was that much better than digital until I snuck a few peaks at colter's stuff. I guess it's along the lines of the difference between art and utility (kinda like music has been the last few years).

----------------

No question about it. I do agree. (however, don't think that I will dig out my old TT)2.gif

BUT,.... this sh@# ain't art, It's the Klipsch Forum! We want pix and quick!

Terry

Thanks for the kind words DrWho. Lets give another month of cool down b4 hitting the attic. I've got this paint, why don't you just bring your 22's with you and we'll shoot them here?

Yes, I insist on all Nikkor glass, except when it's Carl Zeiss for my Hassleblad. And yes, both camera systems are what NASA has used for decades. I know, I have a friend who taught photography to the astronauts for 20 years. Knows Senator Glenn as 'John'. Very cool.

Labs have pretty much stopped printing bw film, they all take it digital first anyway. So unless I want to open my own mini-lab, I'll have to fall in line. But I'll always use film for my personal projects. It just looks better.

What was that Nicolas Cage movie where he gets an LP in the mail and says to his wife 'it's vinyl, it just SOUNDS better'? THink its where he's a CIA guy in a plane hijacking situation.

Micahel

----------------

On 8/20/2005 6:57:07 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words DrWho. Lets give another month of cool down b4 hitting the attic. I've got this paint, why don't you just bring your 22's with you and we'll shoot them here?

Yes, I insist on all Nikkor glass, except when it's Carl Zeiss for my Hassleblad. And yes, both camera systems are what NASA has used for decades. I know, I have a friend who taught photography to the astronauts for 20 years. Knows Senator Glenn as 'John'. Very cool.

Labs have pretty much stopped printing bw film, they all take it digital first anyway. So unless I want to open my own mini-lab, I'll have to fall in line. But I'll always use film for my personal projects. It just looks better.

What was that Nicolas Cage movie where he gets an LP in the mail and says to his wife 'it's vinyl, it just SOUNDS better'? THink its where he's a CIA guy in a plane hijacking situation.

Micahel

----------------

Micahel,

I still love the class and dignity of B&W. For me, it is about the contrast.

It soon will be lost. 8.gif

Terry

Since folks are waxing nostalgic, I must profess a fondness for sepia prints. And while not being intiimate with the details, friends have mentioned some of the toners can be pretty nasty! So it even seems to have some entertainment value!

And while I am off in left field, Michael, are you aware of a 3D camera mount that can be leveled and adjusted for angle and azimuth like, but in lieu of, a surveyers transit for precisely orienting microphones, etc., without spending an arm and a leg? (even used!) Something perhaps like the Bogen / Manfrotto 3047 Deluxe 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head. And replacing the large handles with compact knurled knobs.

Wait, we are talking photo gear...so 'inexpensive' may be like looking for 'inexpensive' golf gear....

I can't imagine a little paint on the surrounds would affect the sound of a pair of heresys! That just sounds absurd to me.

Great idea Michael.

BTW - I got your pm. I'm not ignoring you, just busy. Everything else I have is on vinyl but if you want some suggestions on what to buy, let me know.

Seems I've hijacked my own thread, okay with me.

Sepia toned prints can now be obtained without all the tedious and nasty chemistry. In the old days, you made a bw print, bleached it to take the black off, then used a sepia (or other colored) toner chemical to add the dark shades back in. It smelt of rotten eggs, was very horrible to work with, and not at all good for the health

Nowdays, you can shoot bw on Kodak CN or B+W film, which is a dye based film, more like color film instead of the silver found on pure bw film. The film is processed like all color films, so your local mini lab can do it. Now you can either print it on bw paper for true bw, or adjust the filters in a color enlarger and print on color paper for sepia (the antique brown tone), or slightly magenta, cyan, or whatever you taste and artistry dictate. Try it, it's fun!

Michael

same paint was able to refurbish the front panel of my fibreglassed LSI splits. They had been in contact with the ground on a hot humid day, and moisture has gotten between the plywood and glass, making it transluscent instead of black. I just removed drivers and KLIPSCH plaque and sprayed on a nice tough flexible satin black finish. Looks like new!

Michael

Why don't you just take them to a Rhinoliner shop? That would certainly make those cabinets durable. 9.gif

Somewhere Michael had mentioned this in another thread, and I thought I posted about a dude on the Lansing Heritage forums who used some white kind of paint for some yellowed JBL Aquaplas drivers (like on 4311s).

Very cool to try this Michael.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, but they are the very nice Fibreglassed with Aluminum trim LS split Industrials, just the face motorboard of the mid/hi pack became discolored. While I was at it, I took out all the black screws, stuck em in a slab of styro and hit them with the paint too (they were high carbon steel and all had rust on them.)

Also made a nice photocopy of the white on black PWK klipsch logo plate, (PWK is inside a square 'pie' logo) does anyone know the process to have these made? I might try a local trophy shop. Would there be any interest among Forum members to have some of these plates to affix to Industrial cabinets, Cornscalas, etc? They are 1" x 5 7/8" wide.

Michael

----------------

On 8/20/2005 6:57:07 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Micahel

----------------

I rate Carl Zeiss best in lenses, then Leica, then Nikon, then a distant canon. BTW My father was a last of the breed photolab person that believe quality over quantity. He never got the bulk photoprocessing that riteaid or the drug stores would get. But the people who knew came to my father as he was the only person to truely use Kodak Royal Paper around the ny area. And he used only kodak chemicals. Hey gotta match chemicals and paper. Also he would probably waste more paper then what was good for him as he is anal retentative about getting absolute color match. I swear he would spend more then a hour color matching the prints every morning. Also traditional film has a warmth not found in digital, not to say that digital is not great. But there is just a certain pazzaz or tradition found in film.

BTW that movie you said is "The Rock" and he said that to a fellow coworker who said why didn't you buy that beatles cd instead of the lp.