Heresy K-700 horn, 2 versions made by Klipsch

Dflip

This information is from Bob Crites, I included it as a separate item to make it easier to search for in the future. There are 2 versions of the K-700 horn.

The problem may be that there are two very different metal K-700 horns that are functionally the same and both genuine Klipsch. I will call them the "thick" and "thin" castings. In the picture below the thick casting is on the left and the thin is on the right. The thick one weighs 2 pounds and the thin weighs 1 pound 4 oz.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=38683&

post-6396-13819269314336_thumb.jpg

Nice to see this, Dflip! I wonder if the same variations occur in the other squawker horns? I really hope the new forum has a better search function. It would be nice to have an "FAQ" section, as well.

There may also be potential buyers out there who are not aware of the K601 and K701 composite (plastic molded) derivation of these horns. In the case of My K601's, they have a four bolt pattern for the K53 driver, so a K55 thread on would not work.

Also the 700 metal horns for Heresy are different shape at the bell end that the K701 Heresy and Heresy II plastic ones. The black plastic have a curvature on the bottom edge that wraps around the woofer basket. The 700 metal is symmetrical with 4 cast mounting tabs.

There are probably a few more oddities out there as well.

I suggest that everyone be very specific when buying or selling these horns. Mention the model number, speaker it was originally intended for, possible mating drivers, composition, and mounting style.

Michael

Yes, there are at least two kinds of aluminum horns. That's what I was talking about yesterday morning in my post.

"I found to be an improvement when used on the older, thicker aluminum midrange horns. The later, thinner aluminum midranges when caulked sounded worse to me instead of better."

• 4 years later...

There are collections of Klipsch papers on the forum. I had posted the Dope From Hope collection I had. It did not include the DfH on the New K-700. There is another collection of documents which includes that DfH.

IIRC PWK reports that he went from a sand cast K-700 to die cast. Also, even though the new die cast departed from his specs, the response was better. Years later, Roy said something similar about one of his horns, though perhaps the unexpected improvement was a result of a different issue.

There has been a picture on the forum of the composite K-700 maybe called the 701.

I don't have any information on different metal versions of the K-400. I did post a picture of the die contraption for a version. Maybe there was an earlier sand cast. And of course we have the present K-401.

Wm McD