RF-7 X-overs schematic diagrams

Anakin26

Yes, everyone will be interested. So please do.

Klipsch does not give out schematics on units which are in production. They have given us schematics on older units. BTW, many thanks.

It seems to me you are asking a deeper question. If I have made an analysis of a crossover, and wish to publish it here, will "the powers that be" step on it? Be offended? Ban you? Report you to the Thought Police?

No, I don't think so. Smile.

Gil

I'm not aware of the webmaster here removing any technical information. Boneheaded insults, improper political subjects, yes.

We all realize that what you post is your impression and no guarantee that the factory approves, agrees, doesn't agree, etc. E.g. if we post something and then ask, "Is this correct?", then they're going to be silent.

Gil

Some interesting news. I sent the schematics to the guy at mundorf today. He checked them and told me two interesting things:

1) The HF X-over is either a very weird construction or I got something wrong when drawing the schematic. For some reason I get the feeling, the latter is the case... 14.gif

2) The 1 ohm resistor on the lf x-over made him wonder too. He told me that this kind of setup is normally used to dampen the voice coil and to make the speaker more impedance stable, but he would have expected the resistor to be around 6 - 10 ohms. Well... I off course have no idea whether this is a good thing or not. He said we should go with the factory setup and stick with 1 ohm.

Nick

Well, the guy at mundorf was right. I messed up on the hf schematic. I took the crossover out again last night and altered the diagram. Now everything should be correct.

I know the symbols are weird and not technically correct, but they work for me! 9.gif

Nick

What you've posted does make sense.

I'm reminded of the movie, Who Killed Roger Rabbit. The woman says, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

The woofer is a second order low pass.

The tweeter is a third order high pass. This is the more difficult to "read". The series circuit along the bottom is a Zobel.

BTW, it seems that Dr. Zobel worked for Bell Labs starting almost a century ago. I've not suceeded in getting a copy of the Bell Lab publication on the subject.

However.the problem is that the crossover filter design is best if the load is without peaks in elecrical impedance, or in fact any variation. However, all drivers have a peak of elecrical impedance at mechanical resonance.. The Zobel ciircuit with L and C and R have a dip in impedance, calculated to be at the same frequency. So they balance out.

Gil

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...