Best $700 (or less) Sub

divinegeek

So I'm rebuilding my system and have all the components except for a sub. Receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D912-K and my satellites are Athena Point 5 MK II. I have no more than $700 to get a sub home and am looking for opinions. FWIW, I spend 95% of my time listening to music. I have looked heavily at both HSU Research and SVS subs. Both seem to be great. I have heard that the HSU subs (namely the VTF series) are better for music than SVS subs, but cannot personally confirm this. I live a mere 45 mins from the HSU Research facility so I plan to listen to them before making any decisions, but have no way to listen to any SVS subs as they are an internet-based company. I know every scenario is different and no one will be able to tell me what's best for me, but any and all suggestions/experiences about these subs and others are much appreciated.

----------------

On 8/22/2005 12:31:16 AM divinegeek wrote:

So I'm rebuilding my system and have all the components except for a sub. Receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D912-K and my satellites are Athena . . . . .

----------------

so, what do they say over at the athena forum?

9.gif

----------------

On 8/23/2005 12:19:09 AM drdiaboloco wrote:

The RW-12 is a great sub, digs deep enough and is quite musical... And comes in well under your $700 limit.

----------------

But, unfortunately, can be outdone by nearly any of the above for less $.

>>>But, unfortunately, can be outdone by nearly any of the above for less $<<<

Actually, all of the above subs are more expensive than the RW-12, near as I can tell... Except the snap-together Dayton and Klipsch's own Sub-12. I've not yet heard an Sub-12 and can't comment as to whether it "beats" the RW-12. As for the others? Some are very good indeed, but you seem to have a very poor opinion of the RW-12.

----------------

>>>But, unfortunately, can be outdone by nearly any of the above for less $<<<

Actually, all of the above subs are more expensive than the RW-12, near as I can tell... Except the snap-together Dayton and Klipsch's own Sub-12. I've not yet heard an Sub-12 and can't comment as to whether it "beats" the RW-12. As for the others? Some are very good indeed, but you seem to have a very poor opinion of the RW-12.

----------------

I own an RW-12 and it has great bass, beats my sony subwoofer any day.