Help me with my subwoofer!!!

LAhight

I was moving my subwoofer yesterday when my stupid friend pressed his finger right into the center of the cap that is in the center of the driver. So now the dome like center of the speaker is dented badly in towards the back of the unit. I was hoping that someone could tell me how i could get the dome back out to its original state. Please help.

What subwoofer?

In most cases, this cap is there to keep dust out of the voice coil gap and to "clean up" the cosmetic appearence of the cone. It does not play any role in the sound of the subwoofer. You can usually pop a dented dustcap back out by taking a fine needle (small safety pin, for example), making a small 90 degree bend near the tip of the needle, push the tip into the cap, hook it with the bent part of the needle and pull it back out. If you do a search on this board (under, uh, dent?) you'll find several other suggestions.

However, this does not hold true for every single subwoofer, so before you try anything, tell us what brand and model number we're dealing with?

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

I second the "masking tape" suggestion. As pointed out the "dome" is nothing more than a dust cover,(a word of caution about tweeters: Some tweeters use the surface of the dome to focus the sound waves and the resulting sound may be affected by such damage).

That said,your sub-woofer's sound should not be compromised by this injury. Buy a good quality roll of masking tape such as produced by 3M,(GOD you don't know it hurts to recommend a name brand household product - next I'll be saying that Saran Wrap is better than the NoName versio--Err Umm actually).

AKA the 3M stuff is better suited than most for this task as it grips better and more evenly than others. I have never been a proponent of poking holes into any part of a speaker assembly as there is the,(admittedly small),chance of dust getting past the dust cover and into the gap between the magnet pole and the voice coil. If you have already employed that suggestion you should not lay awake nights because it would be necessary for a lot of dust to get into that area before there would be any noticeable effect and you are unlikely to have more than a miniscule amount of dust get in from such a small hole even with years of regular use.

I Know!! can be such a nit-picker - Look there's a nit over there and one in my navel,(I was gazing again - Damn the doctors said If I only took those pills ....

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 09-25-2001 at 09:19 PM

Yes I second the masking tape solution.

By what you said LAhight the dustcap is not very rigid,so good masking tape should do the trick.

The vaccum cleaner solution also works but you better not use a ShopVac 15AMP mutha or you may lose the dustcap! LOL

The needle method Ray pointed also works,and well.

I would try the zero damage way and go with the masking tape.If it fails use a stronger tape(and care).

Good luck,

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The problems with duct tape are that it might grip too strongly and cause a tear when you removed it and would be likely leave behind a tacky residue causing your sub to grow a beard of dust bunnies over time.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

LOL

I doubt masking tape would leave so much residue as to grow a beard. In this case you can trim the beard,and have a bearded sub! Smile.gif

The second non lethal option is the needle,then what to do if your sub woofs at you when he sees the needle?

Blindfold the chicken and go for it.

I dont like too much the vaccum cleaner idea,some vaccum cleaners have too much sucking power and in this case oups...Frown.gif

The needle then,careful.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

If you were to use a small piece of window screen (I'm thinking of the vinyl kind) on the end on the vacumm hose, so that it looks like a vegetable strainer in miniature, this would keep you from sucking the cap clear off. It would provide a limit as to how far the cap would come out.

Don't know if what I'm saying makes sense, but I have it pictured in my head (very dangerous place).

Marvel