Home theater upgrade recommendations needed! Please help!

ajcllc

O.K. Here is what I have for speakers. 2 Forte I's, 2 Forte II's, 2 Quartets, an SVS PB12-Plus/2 . I will be purchasing an Academy very soon. Currently, I have a Denon AVR-2802, but am considering an upgrade soon with the Denon AVR-3806 with this current speaker set-up. (I love these speakers by the way!)

My main concern, however, is my receiver. Should I get only a receiver, or should I get a preamp and amp set-up? I want my set-up to be versatile as far as listening to music and seven channel home theater. Please...advice is valued and very appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hey Ajcllc, Please give us a budget and people can recommend different options. As you might know, preamp/amp usually are more expensive than receivers. Well, the new Denon 3806 MSRP is around $1300, so if you stick with receivers, try out the HK 7300, you can get it from a authorized dealer for a little bit more. I really haven't research separates, but other people on the forum can fill in that area. Try doing a search also on the forum for amps/ preamps. There have been many other questions like this one.

I am looking to spend around the $1500-$2200 range.

I have noticed the "What amps or preamps are you using" et. al. postings.

With that said, maybe I should have asked, "what would be the advantages and disadvantages of buying a home theater receiver vs. buying an amp/preamp combo"? I am wrestling with what to do.

Thanks.