Yamaha "brightness"

Kain

Few days ago I went to a to check out Home Theater equipment. They had some floorstanding speakers, not sure what brand, but they were hooked up to a DVD player and a Yamaha DSP-A1. During the Matrix helicopter smashing scene where the glass of the building shatters, the sound was HURTING my ears. It seemed WAY WAY too bright.

Since I am deciding between the Denon AVR-4802 and the Yamaha RX-V3000, I am leaning more towards the Denon now because of this. The only problem is that I don't think they import the Denon AVR-4802 here in Dubai, but they do have the Yamaha RX-V3000 and the Denon AVR-3801.

Any opinions/comments? Could this be because it was not set up right? Or is this normal for all Yamaha equipment?

------------------

Home Theater (getting soon):

TV: Sony KV-ES34M80 (34" FD Trinitron WEGA)

DVD Player: Toshiba SD-5200

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (Hi-Fi VCR)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000 or Denon AVR-4802

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: None (Waiting for Klipsch RSW-15)

It's very, very difficult to evaluate equipment in most retail shops unless you're talking about a dealer who has taken the time to set things up correctly.

In a nutshell, if the place where you heard the Yamaha was using one of those big switching boards with the pushbutton thingie that lets you switch amoung brands of speakers, you have NO IDEA how much that mess of electronics might be screwing up the sound. If it was, for example, adding a lot of high order harmonics due to cheap power supplies and poorly implemented circuits, and you played a speaker that had a very extended and accurate high end response, it would probably drill holes in your teeth. That same speaker, at home, with decent front end electronics and a decent room environment, might sound wonderful. Likewise, take a speaker with a very soft, muffled, rolled off high end and play them through that board. They might be the only speakers that sounded listenable in the store environment, but when you got them home and set 'em up, they'd be a big disappointment. Same holds true for the amps and receivers you're using to drive the speakers.

Only safe way to make the decision is find a dealer who will work with you, and try both the Denon and the Yamaha at home with YOUR system in YOUR room, and keep the one you like better.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

There seems to be a number of complaints here concerning Yamahas being too bright. I have been using a Yamaha RX-596 two channel receiver for about a year with my Cornwalls and a pair of rear loaded horns I built, and with both speakers the sound is definitely full and mellow (I've had tubes, high power Carver, various receivers, etc in the past - so I got some basis for comparison). I have a friend with the same Yamaha receiver hooked up to a pair of Chorus and they have a lovely, mellow sound too (all with a full bottom end I might add). No complaints here.

All of the posts I've read seem to center around the RF series speakers. I do not know if there is an incompatability with Yamaha amplifier and RF series tweeters or if the titanium tweeter is just intrinsically bright and singing the way it's supposed to, given a good signal. I really don't know the answer, but interstingly, I've seen some posts here stating that the Denon was too bright and harsh with RF series and they wonder if they should get a Yamaha.

I haven't read any complaints about harshness with Yamaha and any of the Heritage speakers, including the Forte's and the Chorus.

You might want to try an amplifier with a pronounced, mild roll off in the high end. I can't think of any off hand except for single ended tubes - which is a problem since you're into home theater. If your dealer would let you audition various receivers in your home, that would be your best bet.

I have little experience with the RF series speakers, but my understanding is they have great sound when set up properly with appropriate amplification.

Hope you get it figured out.

Warm regards,

KG

Well, I am not sure if I can audition the receivers, but I'll try.

By the way, would you guys consider the Yamaha RX-V3000 the same standard of the Denon AVR-4802?

------------------

Speakers -

Hi KAiN64,

I have a Yamaha RX-V995 receiver driving my Reference series speakers for HT. My rig does not sound bright (IMHO). While my receiver is not in the same league as the one(s) you are considering, I can't imagine the higher models would sound worse. I have had many other folks over to watch movies and no one has ever complained of brightness...

As has been said before, your mileage may vary Smile.gif

Try to listen to stuff in your home!

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 09-25-2001 at 12:03 PM

Okay, thanks. Smile.gif

But, what feautures does the Denon AVR-4802 have that the Yamaha RX-V3000 does not? And are there any features that the Yamaha RX-V3000 has that the Denon AVR-4802 does not? And both have about the same power output, right?

------------------

Speakers -

Kain,

The 3000 is not bright at all IMHO. See my other post. Feature wise the Denon blows it away:

Denon AVR-4802

125W X 7

No front effect speakers for DSP modes

THX Ultra Certified

THX Modes

DTS Discrete/Matrix & THX EX

2 Surround Back channels (THX recommends)

Dolby Prologic II

DTS NEO

Supports two sets of surround speakers in addition to

2 back surrounds

- 1 direct radiating set for music

- 1 set dipole set for movies

Atkis touch screen remote

Yamaha RXV-3000

100W X 6, 25 X 2 for front effects

Front Effects speakers for DSP modes

No THX certification or modes

Matrix decoding of back surround channel only

Supports only one surround back channel

Dolby Prologic - no DPL II

No DTS Neo

Only supports one set of surround speakers

Standard button remote

Bob

Thanks. Smile.gif

I'll try to get the AVR-4802 if I can find it here in Dubai, otherwise I'll have to get the RX-V3000.

------------------

Speakers -

Subwoofer: Klipsch RSW-15