EDTV plasma good enough for DVD's only.

Speedball

EDTV capable sets display a resolution of (852x480 res) or (1024x769 res/1024x1024 res, where the signal is scaled DOWN to the set's native resolution), and sets exhibiting 1280x768 or 1366x768 can natively supporting 720p provided they support progressive scanning rather then interlaced scan patterns...Likewise, a set must support 1920x1080 resolution and progressive scanning to support 1080p.

Here is a good site for explaining some of the Hi-Def questions

http://alvyray.com/DigitalTV/default.htm

And EDTV specifically:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-highdefinition.html

IMO, EDTV is closer to HD than it is to a normal set. Especially on a smaller screen size. We have a couple HD sets; one 27" and a 32". Both are CRT's, eventually I hope to be replaced by LCD sets if all falls into place. We have a couple other normal sets, and the wife tired of one of them sitting in our bedroom on top of the dresser. She hated the bulky size of it, so I found a Magnavox EDTV 20" set on sale at Target for $438 and got it. Of course I went to BB and got another DirecTV HD receiver, and hooked it all up. It is nearly impossible to determine that the picture is not true HD on the smaller screen size. If you get into larger screens then it becomes a bit more visible that you do not have the required resolution for true HD. But, EDTV is pretty darned nice anyhow, and for me it was about half the cost for that TV set vs. a true HD model...oh, and since the wife would have a fit if I got a 3rd Denon and added a center and rears in the bedroom.....I stole the ProMedia 2.1 system off this computer and plugged it in to the headphone jack on the TV....all I can say is WOW! Not bad for tiny little speakers she will live with, and the sub hidden down at the end of the dresser! Now she will have a fit when she finds out I have another PM 2.1 setup on the way to give me sound on the computer again, lol!

I second your opinion IAm. My parents have a plasma edtv 46" size, hooked up with comcast digital cable and it is a treat to watch, especially the hd broadcasts such as espn sports. Dvd's look great too. I think even up to this size it is a very acceptable alternative to true hd for the budget minded.