has anyone seen the new JBL Array line?

sunnysal

Look out.... we on the BB have been checked out by JBL.. A Cornscalla in disguise!! and Vertical mid horn but horizontal tweeter to boot. LOL

A great read on the JBL site..Dispels a lot of info on HT too.... Tried to get some info price wise on these.. Somewhere about 15k a pair??? Geeze/// Hopefully I will see/ hear them at CEDIA.

Some highlights..." You may never have seen anything like them. But you've been hearing something very much like them for years. Behind the screen of your favorite movie theater, and overhead in the rigging at major concert events, large vertical arrays of constant-directivity horns have long been instrumental in delivering the massive yet highly accurate sound that large audiences expect.

Many of today's home theater speakers are simply consumer designs adapted for multichannel sources. But the high-performance Project Array loudspeakers are professional designs optimized for smaller venues. A Project Array home theater isn't just an ordinary home theater. It's a screening room that would please the most discerning of Hollywood moguls. If movies are an important part of your life, you'll appreciate the difference. More important, you'll enjoy the professionally inspired, audiophile-grade sound on a daily basis."

OK, not meant to be an ad for JBL here... But I think were on to something with our horn speakers as is.. or modified.

Sounds like an ad for our Cornscalla!!!!! Take the best PA portable speaker IMO that Klipsch made... The La Scala and add to it with a better lower end in your face chest pounding 15" Cornwall too. Interesting rather than spray the room left to right, you will hear mids vertically tweeters horizontally so more pinpoint to your tastes too. hmmmm

Come on guys, a 15" woofer in a Cornwall cabinet, and a vertical k 400 horn with the k 77 tweeter on top somehow.. I bet our "Cornscalla" creation would sound better, easy to get parts, and perform better. Would love to see someone just block up the holes from a older CW cabinet for the mids and highs....and duplicate this...

Maybe we were on to something in a change of how people experience HT too.

Notice a front firing sub too?? Sounds like a THX KW-120 to me too.. Bring it on!!

Indy----Why on earth would you think that a cobbled LaScala would perform better than JBL's latest? That's a large format compression driver and a new tweeter in the JBL, not an Atlas bullhorn driver and a sad T-35.

Now you may think subjectively that your notion would sound better but objectively it wouldn't work better.

I previously posted this down in general:

JBL's Project Array is a home theater speaker system featuring horn drivers for the midrange and treble. Price is $25,550 for the main speakers, plus $4,000 if you add the optional left and right subwoofers (one is at far left in the photo, which shows only one speaker from each of the left/right front and surround pairs" (Sound and Vision)

post-12829-13819271311446_thumb.jpg

Tom, I never said it would sound "better." More of maybe JBL has caught or re caught on to something we all knew. (Horns are fantastic for HT) I agree, Klipsch drivers a lot smaller.. maybe even older technology (although older does not mean bad here too) ... but lets be honest here too.. Also not 15k a pair to create/ re create this too. With our own Klipsch cabinets and drivers.

JBL with LOTS of power, in a big room, SHOULD sound better..And does. One of my first "big" concerts was with Neil Diamond as a kid, I sat in the first row center with my folks next to the stage... I could hear the mains overhead and the stage monitor system in front of me.. the presence was just off the charts just how good his voice (at that time) was. Neil Diamond was so powerful, full of feeling and dynamics, it was that live sound that never leaves you of a great performer.. He could whisper, growl, shout, and in his deep tone of his voice too.... it was all there, just incredible dynamics wise.. JBL maybe EAW the only live big sound speakers that do that for me to this day!

But we also might be talking shades of grey here in a Home "Home Theater" too. We have some people experimenting with different designs (e.g. Cornscallas) since you have been gone, and some really like what they see and hear too. I was hoping one of them might try this setup and report back to us too his findings!

Welcome back to the forum, we missed you.

Just a thought.

Ah, the return of high quality horn speakers into the mass intermediate home consumer market!

Watch for other intermediate consumer-oriented speakers manufacturers to follow suit, along with the sudden turn-around of the audio media to start pushing horns.

DM

Indy----Horns are certainly the way to go for HT. The best sound I had was with Altec A5s which use the same drivers and horns as the large A4 VOTs that were used in the 70mm multi-track roadshow houses of my youth. The guys in the club would be floored when I'd throw on a LD or DVD of Ben-Hur, Spartacus, Cleopatra or The Magnificent Seven.

I first became aware of hi-fi when I was 10 years old back in 19and59 and my Dad took me downtown to see the roadshow version of Ben-Hur. When the lights started going down and the opening blasts of the overture music came forth from the mighty Altecs I was floored. My entire notion of hi-fi sound is based primarily on reproducing movie sound properly, not on reproducing live orchestra and such. I think the best orchestral music made in modern times has been movie music and that Hollywood has attracted the best composing talent. Steiner, Roska, Newmann, Elmer Bernstein, Korngold and other such guys---the best. I put pictures on just to listen to the music.

Last summer I went down to Champaign to see Roger Ebert show the restored Lawrence of Arabia at an old restored movie palace. The sound was superb and during the break I talked to the manager. Sure enough they had A4s behind the screens with new diaphragms in the 288s.

post-6913-13819271329466_thumb.jpg

forget the performance series from JBL, those will be conventional cone speakers with a little shallow "horn" on the dome tweeter...IMHO stick with horns! tony

BTW this just in...

Tentative MSRP schedule:

1400 Array - $5,500 each

1000 Array - $4,000 each

800 Array - $3,000 each

880 Array - $3,000 each

1500 Array - $3,500 each

Tony,

There is a long thread on the lansing heritage site about the

performance series. They apparently rock the house. Not a horn

presentation, but very, very good.

The biggest problem is how JBL doesn't market their products very well.

Bruce