those are the ones i was talken about when that shorthorn was kicken

around last month on ebay,don't know about the JBL woofer being oem ,i

would think not,they are vented out the sides,16 ohms,an there

should

be a matching record cab , an a equipment cab, i think in one pic

you can see it in the back ground like gold fabric, shipping would be a

pain in the shorts on those, if they are still a set,an for the

shorthorns $900 plus shipping little steep imo, i would rotate the

motor board an get the tweeter off the floor, classic retro ,anyone in santa anna?

1957 Klipsch literature says that Shorthorn comes with K-Ortho drive

system and that the K-Orthos drive system has a Stephens or

Electro-Voice

woofer and a University 4401 tweeter, which doesn't match what is in

these pictures. But things frequently changed at Klipsch.

And the Shorthorn cabinet was available without drivers.

Ofcourse, the signature next to "Tested" on the label probably rules

that out in this case. Anybody

know when Klipsch change from the University tweeter to the

Electro-Voice tweeter?

That's a highly diddled-with Model "T" Shorthorn. The "T" was much lower than the standard "S" Shorthorn, but projected a lot further from the corner and went down to 30 Hz instead of the S's 40-60 Hz. See http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957m.jpg. A PAIR of "T"s has to be unbelieveably rare.

The openings in the side were the exit of the next-to-last stage of the bass horn, into the Khorn-like last stage formed by the corner walls and the last side panel. It looks like someone in the intervening 48 years or so has destroyed the last stage by "dressing" it up in a square cab that can't go in a corner any more and looks really crappy. The swinging door is a hoot. The casters may be original, though Klipsch hid them with a finished wood skirt.

I've never heard of a JBL in a Klipsch product. OTOH, the crossover, K-1000 horn, and bronze pot T-35 look vintage Shorthorn to me. The motor board in place is, of course, upside down.

To recover the original design and sound would require EV 15WK's or perhaps one of the other great vintage 15's used by Klipsch, and removing the outer cabinetry nonsense if possible. I think "M-7" was an original dark mahogany finish, so I doubt it was an unfinished or utility model, but I can't tell what, if any, of the current exterior is original.

Larry

The utility model T shown in Fig 17 at http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957l.jpg shows the original design a little better. Note how it will fit into a corner, unlike the Agon curiosity:

EDIT: OK, I finally figured out how to insert a pic, actually from the above link rather than uploading it (I think), but how do I bring down the size? -- Larry

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957l.jpg