New receiver advice

wuzzzer

After having my RF-25s for a few months now, I'm getting upgradeitis. The speakers are not the weakest link, but components upstream are.

I have a Sony receiver, model 1011-S that I bought about 10 years ago. When I turn the volume up a ways, the treble gets very shrill. This doesn't happen with all source material, but with most. To compensate, I lower the treble on the receiver's digital equalizer. The highest band the equalizer controls is 8khz but the shrill sounds seem to be up higher than that. The result is a slight lessening of the shrillness, but at a cost of reducing vocals and other sound information in the 8khz range.

So, I'm looking into a reciever that will produce a warmer sound that will balance the highs out. Yamaha? Denon? Pioneer Elite? Others?

Currently I have a 2 channel setup, my RF-25s and a Definitive Technology 15" powered sub. I would be more than happy with a receiver that is an older Dolby Prologic model. Looking to spend around $200 for now, then eventually upgrade to a X.1 Dolby Digital receiver down the road.

Well if you want to stick to 2 channel for now, then should look into

the older HK units (HK 330, 430, 530, 630, and 730). These amps are one

of those hidden wonders of the world and sound amazing, clean full

bodied sound. The bigger the number, the more watts and features they

have. Look at spending anywhere between $50 and $100.

If you wanted to go more recent, then I would suggest Denon or HK which

can be had for pretty cheap. Heck, you might even be able to get an

older Denon 1803 model for about $200 (which sounds great and can do

dolby and DTS later down the road).

Btw, I would hesitate purchasing an amp right now if you have plans on

getting a new one in the future. In the long run it would be cheaper to

save for now and make a single good amp purchase. Does your sony have

pre-outs?

Does your sony have pre-outs?

No, that's one thing that I really hate about it. Not even a subwoofer preout. It was the top of their regular line of receivers before you got into the ES line. You'd think it would at least have pre-outs!

I figure I could sell my Sony receiver to pay for a new(to me) receiver. It matched very well with the Definitive Technology speakers I used to have.

Thanks for the advice on the HKs. I'll have to keep my eyes open! [:)]

Add the Pioneer 1015TX-K to your receiver list. The biggest problem is finding one in stock. They sell very fast.

The subwoofer advice is also very good. Reference speakers are designed to be run with a sub.

The Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 is excellent as is the RSW-12 and 15. The Sub-12 is better than the RW line IMO. SVS has good subs as well.

Bill

I really like the Yamaha RX-777 receiver. It has 100 watts of power, plenty of inputs, multi room capability and sounds great. A nice feature is the variable loudness control which helps the bass out quite a bit. I would agree with the Synergy Sub-12. I just bought one and it's awesome! I run speaker wire from the B side of the Yammy to the sub. It blends real well, with some experimentation, with my Heresy's.