FS '65 vertical Cornwalls in DC (AGAIN!)

sfellini

[ 9/28 - The buyer reneged on the deal, so they are

again available. $1050, obo, pick-up only from DC].

Hi All - I was high bidder on E-bay for these rare birds

three weeks ago. However I bit off more than I can chew

in how much work it would take to make them look good

again. Fortunately for me, Frzninvt's 62's came up for

sale and so I would now like to sell this pair.

Forum members have placed these vertical Cornwalls

as 64s or 65s based on the driver serial numbers

(the speaker serial numbers have completely faded).

The good news is that the drivers on these are in

excellent condition and sound great (I listened to them

with a new pair of BEC's B-types, but I'll put back the

originals for sale).

Otherwise they need work: one cabinet has a black

water stain on one side. The finish is a bit rough.

The grill clothes are UGLY and you'll probably want

to replace them.

$1050, obo. Pickup only, from Washington DC.

Steve.

sfcw65@nih.gov

post-17643-13819271769538_thumb.jpg

Yea, your right. It'll need to be replaced. Shame too, because the other one isn't bad at all. They're missing the risers too, which can take just a little off the resale. You might want to list them on Audiogon.com., good luck.

Oh yea, your, speakers are finished in Oiled Walnut, as CB had mentioned.

They do Alan, I have a pair of 67's with risers, and a pair of 66's that had risers (the holes are visible on the bottom, and the original owner misplaced them). My 61's do not have and have never had risers attached to them. But one of my favorite corns is a single with riser, she's a rear ported beast, serial No. 229, which I call a 59-60, since that's what the seller told me.

Based on some klipsch literature that I have, it states that 3 digit serials are from the 1946 -47 era. But I know, or at least seem to remember that the Cornwall brand was introduced in 1959. Here's a shot of the rear.

post-12381-13819271801284_thumb.jpg

I concur, my 63's do not have or never did have risers. No screw holes. I don't think they were available until sometime later, or they just werent' very popular if available.

Michael

I don't know what think about 60's Corn's and riser's. But I do have 4 different Corns from the 60's, and 3 of the 4 have risers. But your right, I don't usually see them with risers. The 62's that were up in Washington didn't have risers either. But the 68's that one member just picked up in Denver, did. Just a hit or mis I guess.

But personally, I like them with the risers.

My '62's did not have risers with them, I purchased them from a forum member and added them later to protect the bottoms from any further wear. They also helped get the midrange and tweeter closer to ear level. I think the risers were a buyer's option/choice all along. If you look at any of the old price sheets the risers are always listed as an additional purchasing option. So obviously some people got them, some did not.

The guy that refinished and regrilled my '62's could transform those '65's of Steve's like new again for around $300-$350, you provide the grill cloth that you want. If you want similar cane grills order MD4134 from Wendell fabrics it has the same screen type backing as the original, the only difference is the crossweaves are a slightly different shade from the vertical weaves. Very nice though, it would look super on those speakers! I have enough black left to do another set of Corns. Not sure if Steve is driving all the way to meet me in Glens Falls, NY but if someone is interested in his Corns and he is driving up they could be dropped off along the way. I could also take them to my buddy in NY for refinishing for someone if desired. Just throwing out some options here.

I agree, risers definitely give a more furniture-like appearance to the speakers and protect that fragile edge banding across the bottom and edge grain on the sides from damage.

Gilbert, I love the grille fabric on those 59-60's! And is that a 12" woofer and K1000 mid horn that I see? very retro.

Michael

It is actually a 15" K-33J (Jensen P15LL) mounted behind the motorboard with a 10" hole cut in the front. This was done to "load" the woofer in the slotted port cabinet, and yes it does have the K-1000 midrange horn and the old EV chrome throat tweeter with the screw terminals. The network has three large bobbinized coils as well. Very retro!

Frzninvt"'65's of Steve's like new again for around $300-$350, you provide the grill cloth that you want.  If you want similar cane grills order MD4134 from Wendell fabrics it has the same screen type backing as the original, the only difference is the crossweaves are a slightly different shade from the vertical weaves.  Very nice though, it would look super on those speakers! quote

======

Charles, i dont see that fabric on the Wendall site any longer.

cb

Just because it is not on the web site does not mean that they do not have it. They have a large number of different types of fabric that aren't on the website at all. I got a sample pack from them at one point when I was looking into fabric and the MD4134 looked good to me as a replacement for cane cloth.

I have 2 yds+ of black that I would sell you that I have left over from mine getting done if you are interested.

I called my buddy in Mooers, NY which is outside of Plattsburgh, NY he is the one that did the work for me. His name is Jim Garrand and he does beautiful work. I am hoping that he will call me back so I can give you his information and find out if he is going to be able to get them complete before it gets too cold. I will be in touch.