center channel height?

feersum dreadnot

I've currently got my Academy on top of the 36" TV, which sits on top of a cabinet the height of my L&R Fortes - leaving the center several feet above the L&Rs.

I've read that I should not be able to aurally differentiate the elevation shift, but I think I can - but then again, I can't tell the difference between monster cable and the doubled 12 ga I'm now using, and I've got tinnitus/high freq. issues in my right ear, so who knows?

before I head off to find/build a better TV stand, that would place the Academy at the same general elevation as the Forte horns, I'd like some thoughts from the forum.

the trade off would be to elevate the TV about a foot to put the Academy in the same plane as the horns, or leave it as is above the TV.

thanks for the input.

I've currently got my Academy on top of the 36" TV, which sits on top of a cabinet the height of my L&R Fortes - leaving the center several feet above the L&Rs.

I've read that I should not be able to aurally differentiate the elevation shift, but I think I can - but then again, I can't tell the difference between monster cable and the doubled 12 ga I'm now using, and I've got tinnitus/high freq. issues in my right ear, so who knows?

before I head off to find/build a better TV stand, that would place the Academy at the same general elevation as the Forte horns, I'd like some thoughts from the forum.

the trade off would be to elevate the TV about a foot to put the Academy in the same plane as the horns, or leave it as is above the TV.

thanks for the input.

Ideally, you should be able to draw an imaginary straight line from the centerpoint of the HF horn for your L, C and R front speakers, that would be level from your left channel speaker, to your center channel, to your right channel speaker. This line would also be about "ear level" when you are seated in the sweet spot of your listening room.

That's the ideal. The ideal is not always achievable, but you can still experience good results. My center channel speaker sits above a level imaginary line from my L to R front speakers. While all three speakers are equidistant from my listening position, I have the center channel pointed slightly downward to compensate for its extra height. I have had pretty good results with this set up.

Height in the vertical plane is not easily localized. What IS important is the polar response of the unit (and hence it's aiming/alignment), and the distance and hence the time that the direct signal takes to reach you. You want the direct signal transit time to be the same as either of the L or R speakers (and the same for the surrounds)!

Just quick extension on that... we do have better localizeability in

the vertical plane as the sound source moves lower. In other words, a

center channel 12" below the horizontal line will be more noticeable than a center channel 12" above the horizontal.

I would claim the reason the center channel sounds better at the same

height as the mains is more because the impact of the room's acoustics

will be more similar in that region (so reflections and all that will

also match the reflections from the mains)...in addition to the time

arrival differences etc etc.

I will agree it sounds better below.. granted your sides are not 6' in the air..LOL..

Lower notes to us do sound better below.. try turning your speaker upside down once you will see what I mean.

The main reason of having them at the same height for your left ,center, and right, front speakers is by spacing them this way is as close to perfect as you can get. THE TIMBRE will just glide effortlessly panning left to center to right especially if you use the same speakers at the same heights.

I will agree it sounds better below.. granted your sides are not 6' in the air..LOL..

Lower notes to us do sound better below.. try turning your speaker upside down once you will see what I mean.

It sounds better below? It sounds better higher (or at least that's what I was trying to point out because we aren't able to localize the height difference).

And the reason lower notes sound better when positioned lower is because the speakers are designed to be "coupled" to the floor (aka, the low notes are simply louder when they're lower)...though once you get the speakers up near the cieling you notice that the bass comes back. I've always wanted to see a pair of khorns mounted upside down into the cieling corner...I really prefer having the speakers up higher in the air (prob cuz every live show and theater have the mains mounted up high for coverage reasons).

When I built my HT I played with my Heritage custom center above and

below my screen. It sounded much much better over the

screen.

The imaging sounds more realistic as if the sound is comming from the

source on the screen. When it was under the screen, every vocal

sounded like it came from my center channel drivers.

What is also important is the timing. In my case, I have a lexicon which facilitates this very easily.

Come over and check out my system if you want to hear the glory of speakers HIGH!

JM