Rotel or B&K multi-channel amp with RF-7

Arky

Hi guys

my audio knowledge is very limited. This forum convinced me to buy the 7's (L-C-R) & h/k 7200. I use old kc-1's as rears & a svs 2039pc+. my room is 18x16 hardwood on slab - typical home living room.

60/40 movies to music & I prefer 5.1 music over 2 channel. ok :

I really like the sound i'm hearing but I guess i'm looking for a little more clarity (detail) if that makes sense. I don't hear any harshness some others complain about so I don't no if dean's mods would be a significant benefit to me. Would it help if I add a used 3 or 5 channel amp? Maybe a Rotel rmb-1075 or whatever B&K's = would be. My budget is about $750. I will replace the h/k with a pre/pro when I can afford to. I suppose a Rotel or B&K because some here say those mate well with the 7's. Am I even on the right track? Which amp & later pre/pro would you suggest?

I have searched every audio forum & thread I can find. To me this forum is far superior. You guys should be proud. I learn about audio here & members are respectful. Thanks for any help.

JT

I have a very nice Carver AV 806x 6 channel amp in excellent condition. 133 watts/channel x 6 or you can bridge any 2 channels and the output is 360 watts x 3, or you can bridge the center only and have 133 x 4 and 360 x 1 for the center, which is the way I had it set up for a long time. It is a very warm sounding amp, IMO. You can Google Carver AV 806x and get a good bit of reviews and info. I would be willing to sell it for $750 plus shipping. It is a very solid, heavy and well built amp and is truly in pristine condition. I ran KLF 30s/20s/C7 with it for a while until I got a B & K Reference 200.7 earlier this year. The only reason I got the B & K is for the 7 channels. Honestly, I cannot hardly tell the difference between the sound of the 2 amps. I'm sure if you did an a/b comparison you might be able to, and I'm sure there are ears out there that could tell without an a/b but it is a very powerful amp and has great sound. It's very quiet also.

I use a B&K 200.5 with my 7's and I like the combination very much. Others on here have Rotel and swear by it. I don't think you can lose either way. As far as preamps go, again both B&K and Rotel make nice units. There are also alot of other choices out there as well that would work great. The only other brand I have personally tried besides B&K is NAD. I like their stuff also.