Is this a good receiver for RF7's?

The HK receivers are good. However, if your only looking two channel and don't need the tuner, I would highly recommend you look at an Integrated amp to provide clean power for your RF 7's.

It seems strange that we buy good speakers, and then in an effort to save money, scrimp on the other componets.............(I have done the same thing!).

I am using an older Creek MKII 4140 int amp to power my RF 35's. It has been a blessing, for me!

I would go for an integrated amp

All the digital nasties from a built in tuner will hurt sound.

Listen to an NAD or Marantz new model integrated.

Or

buy used from E bay or Audiogon and try different stuff. Arcam or Creek or old HK from the 1970s.

I have bought 5-6 used SS integrateds over the past 4 years and ended up liking tubes better.

I'm pretty sure the HK is one of the highest current receiver designs

for the newer stuff around, I remember seeing them lay down supposedly

spec. wise about 40 amps per channel, but who knows now with some models having 7

channels. But yeah I agree go with something for 2 channel, I say a

great used piece off ebay or something would be a big intergrated

mcintosh, for some reason the mcintosh always has a good flavor with

the klipsch speakers, also not to sure that HK will stay completly

stable for you with the 7's going under 4 ohm load, any receiver

probably loses a little performance doing that. I believe in the menu

on the HK it will ask you for whether your speakers are 6 or 8 ohm, I

guess if you use it the best you can do is pick 6 ohm , but try it

either way.

Michael - You seem to be hopping around a bit.

At the very least, it appears that you're looking to buy something that you've not personally heard when connected to the RF-7's. If true, a VERY optimisitc assessment of this method would be that you might get lucky and buy something that yields the sound that you like. More realistically, you can waste alot of time and money buying equipment that might end up not sounding the way you want.

I've got RF-7's and I love them, and may never part with them. That said, I've run a number of amps through here before I settled on my current set up. The RF-7 is a great speaker, but it can be finicky about what you use to drive it.

Personally, and particuarly because you said you were on a budget, I'd skip the Scott and the vintage Rotel. You'd be buying the Rotel on the hope that it was still opperating at spec after all these years (that's a 1970's or early 1980's piece of gear after all). With the Scott, it most likely will need to be inspected/adjusted by a qualified tech (there are a few here on the board that would provide this service), but not without costing as much or more than your purchase price.

Bill H's advice about looking at integrated amps is spot on. You tend to get alot of value for the $$$ with integrated amps, and careful selection will yield a good match for your RF-7's. Here's one that's a kissing cousin to the one Bill reccommended, and it might be in your price range:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1131197276

How much should I offer for the 4240? That is well within my budget.. I

was looking at the Rotel 1080 but then I'd need a pre-amp which would

put me slightly out of my budget (about $1k max). $275 sounds a lot

nicer :)

I think the asking price is pretty reasonable. You might offer $260 shipped and see if it'll seal the deal.

Here is a part of a review on Stereophile mag about the Creek 4240.

The 4240SE amplifier, which I reviewed in Vol.18 No.12, impressed me mightily at the time. In addition to excelling at the resolution of inner details and explosive high-level dynamics and bass impact, it was the first Creek amp I'd heard that got the high frequencies right. (I felt that the standard version of the 4240 exhibited a soft, rounded quality in the highs, and that its predecessor, the 4140s2, had an etched metallic quality in the top two octaves.) The 4240SE has served as my affordable reference amplifier for the last five years.

The RF-7's are very revealing speakers and they need alot of current to sound best as they dip down below 3ohms in the bass. You don't wanna skimp on amplification with these speakers, and I really dont think the HK is gonna get the best sound from these speakers. If you can do with out the tuner, a high quality integrated amplifier is the way to go on a budget. The nad C320BEE would work great, its rated at 50 watts but will have much more current capability than the HK reciever and if you can swing a bit more money a NAD c372 is really the way to go, used you can pick them up for $500 or so.

It doesnt pay to spend $1400 on a good pair of speakers only to pair them up with a cheap $200 receiver, they deserve better than that. its basically a waste of money to spend that kinda of money for a good speaker if your gonna use it with crappy upstream electronics, crap in crap out. Do yourself a favor and save your money for a few more months and get yourself a decent integrated amp and cd player. i would say the NAD c520bee/c320bee cd player and integrated amp is the absolute minimum you would want for a pair of RF-7's for best performance.