construction of Khorns

Glenn

Thanks for replaying. I did notice the pic and you are right, it does look like plywood. In my humble opinion MDF is not a good product for speaker. I would like to think my next K-horn will out last me. I'am looking for another pair know. I live in Baton Rouge and able to drive to pick up the speakers (500 miles) Glenn

I believe that the bass bin is still birch plywood and the doghouse for the mid and tweeter are MDF. Khorns made this way may easily outlast their owners. The only thing that probably will not last a lifetime is the crossover. The crossover caps will need periodic replacement, say every ten years for the best sound.

Bill

I am fascinated by the perception that plywood is superior to MDF in all applications.

Do the research. It ain't necessarily so! And there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference between MDF and the particle board you see being used for cheap furniture at WalMart!!!!

Ironically, except for edge impact resistence and the ability to hold screws, in many applications - especially in speakers - it is superior (although I must admit to personally just liking plywood - especially as the MDF dust is a b!tch to deal with even with shop vacuums!)[:D]

Thanks to all for replying I live in a southern state where humidity is high I know the difference between plywood,MDF and partical board I use MDF for pattern makeing for my SCMI CNC I buy the best I can fine. But the moster still gets to It. I would perfer to have plywood . I plan on getting a pair soon. That's why I would like to know when Klipsch started useing MDF. Glenn