Anybody listened to "The Horn" speaker built by Ed Schilling?

robster

Here's an internal view of my little Hasehiro MM151S horns. They're built very well, being CNC machined from some pretty thick MDF. Don't know the degree to which it affects the sound, but the "horn" seems to be a lot more precise than a large plywood box.

The expansion of the horn seems rather strange. Do you have more detail about it?

Using my broad brush paint, and judging from a photo only, I'd say never trust the japanese horn lovers to come up with a "versatile" design that will do anything else than playing "littl'girl playing a ukulele" with spooking realism.

Using my broad brush paint, and judging from a photo only, I'd say never trust the japanese horn lovers to come up with a "versatile" design that will do anything else than playing "littl'girl playing a ukulele" with spooking realism.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Have a look at the line up from Ale if you think that Japan is backward about horns.

http://www.tachyon.co.jp/%7Esichoya2/ale/drivers.html

"The expansion of the horn seems rather strange. Do you have more detail about it?"

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.spnet.ne.jp/~hasehiro/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHasehiro%2BAudio%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

The Hasehiro website is in Japanese, but the above URL will get you there through the Google

translation software. Reminds me of the old saying "it loses something

in translation". Not very technical, but there may be something of

interest.

"Using my broad brush paint, and judging from a photo only, I'd say

never trust the japanese horn lovers to come up with a "versatile"

design that will do anything else than playing "littl'girl playing a

ukulele" with spooking realism."

Playing Ani DiFranco's "So What" from her Reckoning album is the most

realistic sound I've ever experienced from a pair of speakers, but the

thought of Yoko Ono playing the ukulele makes me break out in a cold

sweat.

"Using my broad brush paint, and judging from a photo only, I'd say never trust the japanese horn lovers to come up with a "versatile" design that will do anything else than playing "littl'girl playing a ukulele" with spooking realism"

Oh, I didn't realize that Tom Brennan could write in Japanese! :-)

The stuffing in my TQWT (built by my buddy Mike Berg from Bob Brines' design) is just polyester pillow fill material. I put a piece of convoluted foam behind the driver (i.e., on the back wall at the 'fold' of the pipe). The stuffing process was not scientific, nor even carefully empirical, but the LF capacity of those little-bittle R/S FR drivers is remarkable. I have added on a couple of planar 'supertweeters' (crossed over 1st order with a 1 uF cap) and they're borderline stunning, even with the Yamaha CR-2020 they're hooked to at the moment.

markh2.jpg

Loth X can still be found. The "Amaze" bookshelf speaker technology is now incorporated N2 their floorstanding "Ambience" speakers. Again their entire line uses single full range speakers without crossovers. They distribute and sell direct out of OSS in Toluca Lake, Cal.

Thanks for the info, oscarsear, but I have already contacted Randy Bankert of O.S. Services, Inc. He's the one that informed me that Loth-X had gone out of business, and that he still has the last of Loth-X Audio's inventory that he's presently discounting at 30%. He also informed me that he's currently working on a new 97dB efficient single-driver monitor for his Sonist Loudspeaker line called the Recital, and will retail between $800 - $1000 pr. He said it should be complete by the end of the year or in January '06, and to check out his website soon for details.

Just out of curiosity...since I'm new to all this single-driver technology, my Amaze bookshelf monitors are "transmission line-loaded". I have no clue what that means, so I'm hoping you full-range driver experts here on this forum might be able to explain it (in layman's terms) to me.

Thanks...[;)]

post-11084-13819273728382_thumb.jpg

I listened to a pair of "The Horn" speakers,The Horn Shoope speakers, last night for about 30 minutes,found someone who is extremely kind to let a stranger into his home,he lives about 35 miles from me who has a pair,he's owned them for a year and says they take 150 hours for the drivers to break in.

It was a very short listening session,I needed to get home before dark.

Well I am amazed how good they sound,the highs are crystal clear and clean,the mids are sweet,the lows are good. Excuse my language,but my audiophile vocab is zero.

But as soon as I got home I listened to my Forte's and yes the Horn Shoppe speakers do best my Forte's in the highs with female vocals,not by very much,only a tad,my Forte's have a much richer sound and the overall appeal of my Forte's for me is better. But damn those horn shoppe speakers are nice! Owner powered them with a 2-watt SET tube amp,Decware if I remember correctly,and the speakers were not placed in corners,the bass was good enough for me.

I would love to own a pair,but I don't want to sell my Forte's to buy them.

I do love my Forte's! and my Chorus II's which are in the den. .

Cheers,

Robert

Loth X can still be found. The "Amaze" bookshelf speaker technology is now incorporated N2 their floorstanding "Ambience" speakers. Again their entire line uses single full range speakers without crossovers. They distribute and sell direct out of OSS in Toluca Lake, Cal.

Thanks for the info, oscarsear, but I have already contacted Randy Bankert of O.S. Services, Inc. He's the one that informed me that Loth-X had gone out of business, and that he still has the last of Loth-X Audio's inventory that he's presently discounting at 30%. He also informed me that he's currently working on a new 97dB efficient single-driver monitor for his Sonist Loudspeaker line called the Recital, and will retail between $800 - $1000 pr. He said it should be complete by the end of the year or in January '06, and to check out his website soon for details.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interesting business ethics to NOT advise potential customer inquiries that he's selling products from a defunct manufacturer. The e-mail cummunique I reveived mentioned NADA about the units being out of production or the company non-existent. Wonder what kind of warranty would accompany such a sale?

Just a few years ago I went with Craig (Nosvalves) and Paul (Parrot) to the midwest audio horn festival in Lima, Ohio.. (home of kewpie burgers..yum.. and builders of some of our army tanks..) For a small town, it had a nice hotel /convention center.. I really had a balst to be honest. The Chicago horn guys were very friendly and lots I mean just LOTS of altec and JBL gear too. Also Dr. Bruce edgar and his huge Edgar horns. (Irronically deliverd to a guy after the show who lives like 5 min from me..LOL..) Try those for a WAF..LOL.

I learned a lot about horn speakers. And some about myself, too, in what I like do not like. Some speakers were obviously better than others. LOL They also had easily the BIGGEST do it your self group of people with speakers I have ever seen. Most demos were in hotel rooms where maybe not 100% a home run but... Good that everyone had the same setup in away. This is very much a cottage industry. Case n point, take two guys in their spare time as a hobby to build 4-6 speaker pairs a year if they each take one pair..and now have 2-4 to spare to sell.. if 2 are sold break even if all 4 sold make a little. (They are not in it to make a ton.. just enough to have a hobby that pays for itself..)

That said.. I call speakers like this, "Formal living room or office speakers" LOL.. When played not too loud they sound WONDERFUL! A great application might be background music for work.. something low.. to ease the day.. Good winners. BTW, the vifa drivers and fostex ones seemed to sound the best opposed to some others I heard. It is also amazing a little bitty speaker driver could generate so much sound too. Dr Edgar did a thing with a 4" driver in a huge horn loaded cabinet with a cut out hole... so he could show what it sounded like with out a cabinet and sealed into the cut out area.. Just had to hear it to believe it IMO.