Roof is on: what's next?

damonrpayne

Looks like they will finish with my roof today or tomorrow. Since the windows and such are in already my chief concern of it raining and soon snowing in my house is taken care of.

Does anyone know what typically happens next? Do they put the siding on and such before starting in on the interior? What do they usually do first on the interior? Electrical I would guess? I assume its too much to hope for that any of this will be going on concurrently?

Looks like they will finish with my roof today or tomorrow. Since the windows and such are in already my chief concern of it raining and soon snowing in my house is taken care of.

Does anyone know what typically happens next? Do they put the siding on and such before starting in on the interior? What do they usually do first on the interior? Electrical I would guess? I assume its too much to hope for that any of this will be going on concurrently?

Siding should go on next to button down the exterior with plumping and electrical rough-ins getting underway asap

So, they must bring a generator to power their gear in the mean time? I assume drywall, carpet, flooring, paint etc. is last.

It still burns me that it seems that they could finish this so fast now if they wanted to !@# Apartment life is horrid when you're used to having a house!@ Oh well maybe if they drag on into January I'll have an easy property tax year for 2006.

Good!

They should have a temporarly power pole erected already for the crews to run their tools. There should be power to your home site already if it's in any type of subdivision or you ever hope to have electricity there.

Next they'll be buttoning up the exterior with siding. Make sure if it's vinyl that they don't hammer the nails down too tight. THe nail holes are slots and the vinyl must be allowed to expand and contract or the sunny west side will buckle.

It's CRITICAL that these three crews work together. HVAC, plumbing, and electrical will be drilling holes and running ducts, pipes and wiring. Not so crucial with electrical, but I have seen/heard of cases where the ductwork got in the way of plumbing and the owners ended up with nasty pipes running below where they thought their finished basement ceiling should go. There will be 'chases' vertical spaces in the framing where ducts/pipes might have to share space. Many times this is not well thought out ahead of time. I'd get both those lead guys in there, get them to plot out their runs together BEFORE anything is done to avoid problems later.

Keep your eye on your HT room if you don't want some toilet waste pipe making gurgling sound during your movies. If they use PVC, make certain that wall section is wide enough for the pipe, usually 6 inches, so the drywall doesn't touch the pipe. Insulate this wall cavity before drywall goes up.

Godspeed Damon!

Michael

Do they put the siding on and such before starting in on the interior? What do they usually do first on the interior? Electrical I would guess? I assume its too much to hope for that any of this will be going on concurrently?

The interior and exterior are pretty independent... but the other posts are correct that they will start with the larger rough in items first to the smaller rough (HVAC -to- plumbing -to- electrical -to- phone/prewire). These are all different subs, so you may get several there at one time or none at all depending on their schedules.

So, they must bring a generator to power their gear in the mean time?

You may get a temporary one outside, maybe the main panel, or generators. Depends who and where... Aren't there other homes in the project?

ROb

I just talked to the expiditer again, he claims I have no control where they decide to put pipes and such, so even though this is a house they have built 100 times before and even though we have been physically inside a model with the exact basement layout I asked for, he says he will not gaurantee ANYTHING, even that they won't run a vertical heating duct right down the middle.

I have a premonition that somehow, they are going to ruin this for me and I will have no recourse. While talking to the expiditer, I have never before in life felt so completely like someone really could not care if I dropped dead that instant. No matter how it turns out, I will absolutely be pursuing every ethical or quasi-ethical means of tarnishing their reputation with the builder's association, the BBB, and anything else I can think of. This is my ********* house for ***** sake, the least they could do is pretend to care and not act like a fast food guy at a counter who's irked that I came back and asked for no ketchup.

...even though we have been physically inside a model with the exact basement layout I asked for, he says he will not gaurantee ANYTHING, even that they won't run a vertical heating duct right down the middle.

Not really... he's just being an @ss. They would have had to indicate any vertical shaft on the plans, and he should know that. If he doesn't like the job, he shouldn't have taken it in the first place...

I have never before in life felt so completely like someone really could not care if I dropped dead that instant.

Been there, felt the same way, sucks doesn't it.. All your sweat equity and savings in the hands of (sometimes) a drop out HS kid.. with an attitude... Who while working FOR YOU>> doesn't feel he owes you anything..... even courtesy wise... (And this is after you bring coffee donuts in the am.. water soft drinks etc in the afternoon they use your bathroom....etc etc... even on friday's even some cold ones..LOL..)

Mine were/ was the drywallers downstairs.. Just amazing any of these kind of people manage to survive in life.. I asked them when they left for the day, sometimes noon, sometimes at 3, never after 4 LOL.. if they would just tell me when they left so I could lock up... His reply.. "YOUR NOT MY MOTHER>>>" Oh please...... It is called courtesy dude!

Everyone else was wonderful and nice and did great jobs!

...even though we have been physically inside a model with the exact basement layout I asked for, he says he will not gaurantee ANYTHING, even that they won't run a vertical heating duct right down the middle.

Not really... he's just being an @ss. They would have had to indicate any vertical shaft on the plans, and he should know that. If he doesn't like the job, he shouldn't have taken it in the first place...

The people in this company, its almost all original staff, have been doing this for 30 years! How do they treat people poorly and stay in business? Amazingly, in a rare moment of considering, the guy called me back just now and said "Hey, I called the HVAC guy and told him what you were planning for your basement so he's going to do his best to keep it all open." but still would not commit to anything. Do you know ahead of time how your' going to build a house or not?

Just work with them... ask questions.. and appreciate good work and good attitudes..too.

Most people take pride in their work, and will do what is needed and or asked to do too. Especially for some cash too. ( I moved 2 windows.. and did some more tile work and made the shower bigger too.) You may or may not be able to do this but it does not hurt to try. Furthermore, be sure and seal all of the windows up with foam sealent next to the 2 x 4's too. It will make a difference later and make sure the tyvec wrap stuff on the outside is all correct too. (nothing missing..) BTW, as a side note tell you how much I knew did you know a 2x4 is not really 2" x 4" ?? I guess it used to be but is not now.. I measured when they were doing my house and was like ok am I getting gyped here..LOL..

Some of the subs and builders are boneheads and hopefully they will work with you and everything works out well in the end.

Lol..lol...lol......2"x4" is really 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" and in the old, old, old days the lumber used to be a full 2"x4" ....same goes for 1"x4" and so on, they are 3/4" x 3-1/2"

A lot of things done in building a house are not as planned as you

might initially think. The end results are specified, but the way

of achieving them is often left up to the tradesman. Think about

your electrical wiring. The blueprint calls out where

receptacles, other outlets and switches are to be, and what is on each

circuit. But it typically says nothing about how the wiring is

actually done. And the positions of the devices are only

general. They are going to be placed wherever they can be

fastened to studs, etc., unless you are very specific and lucky.

And even with things like wall lengths, door and window locations,

etc., you are lucky to wind up with them within a few inches of what is

on the drawing. There has been more than one family who found out

that special sofa they bought, or that custom cabinetry they had built,

didn't fit on the wall it was intended.

Damon

Where were they on the model you looked at? Usually, well 90% of the time, that is how it will end up.

In my case, I had them all drawn on my blueprints so there would be no mistakes when I built my basement.

The house I built before that, the builder told me to mark the area and

they would try there best to stay out. I have to say they did do

a good job keeping out of the area. Like Indy said, most guys do care about the job they do.

Could you find out when the HVAC guys are doing there install, and get out there first thing in the morning to talk to them?

Your expiditer sure seems like a first rate @#$%

JM

"And even with things like wall lengths, door and window locations, etc., you are lucky to wind up with them within a few inches of what is on the drawing. There has been more than one family who found out that special sofa they bought, or that custom cabinetry they had built, didn't fit on the wall it was intended."

This is also why the cabinet makers (if thy're worth a damn) won't build cabinets to blueprints. They will wait until the sheetrock is hung so they can take measurements to know wht they are dealing with. Also, remember that most house plans were drawn up with no specific locale in mind. Therefore the plans have to change to meet the applicable codes. Not defending your builder, but if he builds that plan in 4 different counties, he might be faced with 4 different sets of codes.

I sincerely don't mean any disrespect with this comment for I personally don't feel you've gotten any respect from your builder. But what you're encountering is why folks say you should pick your builder and not your house plans. Too many people look at "model homes" until they find something they like and not look at the company behind that model home. My wife & I found a plan we liked then went shopping for builders. And even after we pick a builder, we talked to 3 of their customers and looked at their houses before we plunked any money down.

At this point Damon, my advice would be to stay on them like stink on sh*t. I had to do that with the *&@#$ that built my first home. [:@]

Tom