Difference between RB 35's & 75's?

marcb515

I currently have a 20 year oold pair of Cerwin Vega D5's with 12" woofers. The outter foam edges are shot, so I need to decide wether to re-edge/or replace them ( the wife would prefer smaller replacements); why don't women like the good ole stlye speakers????

I like the bass sound they produce, and really don't want to get a sub-woofer if I get new speakers (unless I have to), so I'm looking for some good speakers with decent bass.

I have a 1998 Onkyo DS 747, and PSB bookshelf speakers for surrounds and no center (I have it split between the two D5's)

What I'm really looking to find out is if the 75's have noticeably more bass than the 35's being that they both share the same woofer?

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,....marc

I currently have a 20 year oold pair of Cerwin Vega D5's with 12" woofers. The outter foam edges are shot, so I need to decide wether to re-edge/or replace them ( the wife would prefer smaller replacements); why don't women like the good ole stlye speakers????

I like the bass sound they produce, and really don't want to get a sub-woofer if I get new speakers (unless I have to), so I'm looking for some good speakers with decent bass.

I have a 1998 Onkyo DS 747, and PSB bookshelf speakers for surrounds and no center (I have it split between the two D5's)

What I'm really looking to find out is if the 75's have noticeably more bass than the 35's being that they both share the same woofer?

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you,....marc

I believe there are are some structural improvements with the 75s inside, but no - I did not hear the 75s having noticeably more bass than the 35s. However, they do have the same basic upgraded horn as the rest of the seven series (RC7, RF7), and to my ears, the upgraded horn (and some upgraded internals) was worth the difference in price. Do a search in two-channel and HT since the difference between the two speakers has been discussed before.

I felt that the RB75s put out enough bass that you could run them without a sub. However, you need to demo either a pair of RB75s or RB35s to determine that for yourself.

Charles makes a good recommendation regarding a pair of Heresy IIs. Both the RB75 and Heresy are fine speakers. I guess it comes down to whether you prefer the Reference sound (RB75s) or the Heritage sound (Heresy II). I've owned multiple speakers from both series and have enjoyed both lines. Its really a personal preference.

Carl.