Jolida tube amps

33klfan

What's ur guys thoughts on this brand? Anyone have any experience with them? Mainly the 102b and 202a i was looking at. I predict u guys will say stuff about vintage, but i just like new. I would only buy vintage if they were available around my area. Thanks.

I take you can buy Jolida locally? Other wise your thinking is slightly flawed if Jolida has to be shipped also. But either way give it a whirl they do many things right just not everything but the same can be said for vintage. Surely a descent place to start in tube audio.

Craig

Other wise your thinking is slightly flawed if Jolida has to be shipped also.

Yes that's very true. I am not sure if there are jolida dealers around me or not. Thanks for ur input. I'm actually surprised because i know u work on a lot of vintage tube amps. Is there any other new tube amp company around the jolida price range that u also know about that i can look into that are also good? Thanks.

Have had the Jolida 102B for about a month now driving four 1979 Heresy and am pleased. I am new to tubes so I can't compare to other tube amps, but the change I heard in these little speakers after twenty six years was remarkable. I bought NOS tubes before the oem tubes had a chance to burn in for no other reason than to try to capture what PWK was all about.

Other wise your thinking is slightly flawed if Jolida has to be shipped also.

Yes that's very true. I am not sure if there are jolida dealers around me or not. Thanks for ur input. I'm actually surprised because i know u work on a lot of vintage tube amps. Is there any other new tube amp company around the jolida price range that u also know about that i can look into that are also good? Thanks.

Not really I think Jolida at this time is your best bang for the buck in new amps of that price range. I used to recommend the Cayin TA-30 which used to be a bargin. But its a bargin no more.

Craig

I just sold my Jolida 502-B on ebay tonight (presuming they pay). It was my first foray into tubes since you gotta start somewhere.

I swapped tubes out and installed EH-KT90's instead of the stock tubes. It added some bass to the sound and I did like it.

The 502 was quiet, would drive my Khorns very loud. It had a small scratchy noise in the volume control that I've seen in MANY controls. It drove me nuts. Finally I bought some 2A3 and SE-OTL amps along with a Peach pre.

I wanted to end up with a low powered amp along with a high powered amp to match with the Peach. Since the Jolida was an integrated, it had to go. I might add that the biggest reason I sold it was that it was integrated.

When I first got it, it blew a tube. Long story short, if you do some reasearch back to around January of 2005 you might find the story. Their customer service for me was absolutely OUTSTANDING. A little TOO good as they intended on swapping out a single tube I had (that shorted out) and they sent me an entire second amplifier!

I sent it back to them and they almost sent it back to me again.

Today, the Jolida is out of my system, pending payment/shipping to the ebay person. I also sold the 2A3's I had which leaves me with the SE-OTL amps plugged into my Peach. The two things I didn't like about the Jolida was my preference for a power amp & not integrated (but I had to start somewhere). That shortcoming isn't a 'fault' obviously but none the less, it was a mark 'against' the 502. Secondly, it did have that audible noise in the controls that after hearing the Peach...I realized I did not have to settle for. I DO think that was probably fixable had I cared to upgrade some of the controls.

my .0002

Wow that's pretty cool to hear that. Ur pretty experienced, so i take that as pretty good advice. Have u personally heard Jolida?

Yes I have heard and upgrades a number of Jolida's. Keep in mind the reference I'm talking from here. You ruled out every thing I would normally recommend so no sense in me going there.

Let me make it clear what I'm saying. If you have to buy New and the Jolida's are in your price range then by all means your not going to get hurt by them. They are a descent bang for the buck in your price range.

By the way what is your budget.

Craig

33---I recently bought a Jolida JD102B integrated to drive a pair of 99db speakers. The amp sounds very nice; has excellent clarity and imaging and makes no aural nastiness, very smooth. The amp is also dead quiet. Given my current needs for volume ( I live in a condo) it has sufficient output and dynamics. However someone who really wanted to crank it might think otherwise.

All in all I'd say It does just what I want an amplifier to do.

I had the same problem Coytee did with a 502B integrated. It generated motion artifact with some control features thru RF-7s (at that time). When I rolled some Mullard AT7's on it the noise became pronounced and continuous.

I also no longer have Jolida in my system. In fact I went back to SS equipment (with the exception of an MF DAC). The lesson I learned was that I could afford older equipt that when built was the best available. In other words, the best older equipt was/is better than the entry level brand new equipt. I went with Accuphase SS and am quite pleased.

The only thing that i'm worried about with tube amps that are integrated, i don't think i'll be able to use my subwoofer. Will like the jolida or a new tube amp push enough bass out of my sf-1's by themselves without a sub? I listen to mostly rock, punk rock like 85%, then some cleaner stuff like norah jones and relative singers for the last 15%. Maybe i should stick with ss, unless tubes can really rock. I know the mids and highs are suppose to be much better, but not sure about the mid bass and low bass. Thanks.