What is the cheapest online cd retailer?

wheelman

It'll be different depending on which studio is licensing the recording...and not all stores can sell from all the vendors.

Amazon is a good place to go because they list a bunch of stores that

you can sort by price. There are a few other sites that do this as

well, but I can't remember them off the top of my head (they always

show up when you do websearches).

It'll be different depending on which studio is licensing the recording...and not all stores can sell from all the vendors.

Amazon is a good place to go because they list a bunch of stores that you can sort by price. There are a few other sites that do this as well, but I can't remember them off the top of my head (they always show up when you do websearches).

DrWho Amazon is my main source now. So I guess I am on the right track. I like how you can sample some tunage on some of the albums as well to see if you like the style. Plus they usually have the older ones too.

I'm slightly impartial to amazon because an old friend was one of the

programmers that worked on that search engine. He now works for ebay

and programs the billing backbone of the website (so lots of encryption

which he loves doing - he turned down a goverment job in encryption

actually). Yes, this guy is one of those prodigy ppl. Heck, he had

written two math theorems before going to college (stanford). Then in

college he solved an extra credit question which was previously thought

to be impossible (so chalk up 3 math break throughs).

Anyways, back to CDs....I really wish they would make the demo tracks

of a much higher quality. I'm always worried that it might not be the

low quality music sample that is the reason for the quality. And since

I don't listen to mainstream music it is a real pain to find a store in

the area that has it available for a demo listen.

I'm slightly impartial to amazon because an old friend was one of the programmers that worked on that search engine. He now works for ebay and programs the billing backbone of the website (so lots of encryption which he loves doing - he turned down a goverment job in encryption actually). Yes, this guy is one of those prodigy ppl. Heck, he had written two math theorems before going to college (stanford). Then in college he solved an extra credit question which was previously thought to be impossible (so chalk up 3 math break throughs).

Anyways, back to CDs....I really wish they would make the demo tracks of a much higher quality. I'm always worried that it might not be the low quality music sample that is the reason for the quality. And since I don't listen to mainstream music it is a real pain to find a store in the area that has it available for a demo listen.

Wow! your friend sounds pretty smart. Yeah even though the cd samples are not the greatest. It really helps speed up things for us dial up internet users. So it's not always the case of what your gettting. But you don't know what your getting that's for sure. I have been having great luck with remasters lately. They don't seem as cold sounding ( more natural with warmth). Then again I have been buying more classics lately and they were recorded better in my opinion than most of todays blaring cold peaked out dynamic sounds. Not always the case i've heard some good new stuff like Porcupine Tree's "deadwing". Pretty good modern recording.

www.deepdiscountcd.com and www.deepdiscountdvd.com

...but be warned that their search tools are among the very worst available! Before you give up, call them and ask them to look them up - just about everything is available. They guarantee the lowest total price (and the price they list includes shipping!)

You may want to use Amazon or Barnes&Noble to sample individual titles.

dragonfyr thanks for the links I will have to check em out. Especially the cd one. I put that one in my favorites to compare down the road. I usually buy from amazon's used section, but new. Alot of sellers there put up new cd's for just about used prices. Not always but now an then.

You can also try:

www.musicstack.com and www.Gemm.com and www.jackwolak.com jack has SEVERAL bootlegs

I've bought from all with zero problems, I just got ripped from a used seller on Amazon. Did not respond to emails and its been 1 month with no CD.[:@] Its the first time and I've bought over 100 cd's so I guess its a pretty good track record.

I second the vote for www.deepdiscount.

They list just about everything - stuff you'll never find at Barnes

& Noble. Prices are great and there are, occasionally, 20% off

sales. Shipping is FREE,

(and prompt) if it's not in stock you don't get

charged until it ships - but it does ship, usually within about

week. No sales tax saves me another 8% here in CA. Quality,

no hassle service. A model of what online shopping should be

(except for their search function).

Amazon sucks - you get charged up front, only to be told weeks

later that the item is unavailable - or (my favorite) unavailable at the quoted price.

James

You can also try:

www.musicstack.com and www.Gemm.com and www.jackwolak.com jack has SEVERAL bootlegs

I've bought from all with zero problems, I just got ripped from a used seller on Amazon. Did not respond to emails and its been 1 month with no CD.[:@] Its the first time and I've bought over 100 cd's so I guess its a pretty good track record.

I did too lately ( for the first time). Make sure you file your claim. I got my dough back a day after the latest they were sussposed to ship it. Maybe two days after. Make sure you file the claim. I am not sure who gave me the funds the seller, or Amazon. Doesn't matter I banned the seller regardless, and got my refund. I will have to check out the links,. Thanks

I third what jheis seconds.

The deepdiscount sites have ALWAYS been cheaper than what my local MegaLoMarts have, even on sale.

Shopping earlier this year on Amazon I had the most miserable experience -- it took me three tries (with three different dealers) over three months to get a single disc. Yep. I was charged up front. Yep. I was promised the item was in stock when it was not -- it took several weeks of effort on my part to finally get 1) an answer 2) my money back

DeepDiscount guarantees the lowest TOTAL price (including shipping) for equivalent items. Occasionally you may have to provide proof of a lower price, but if you do, they will beat it.

It has reduced my local shopping to perusing for loss leaders or titles for which they do not carry.

(NOTE!!!!!:Do not rely on their lousy 'improved' search tool!!! Call and ask them the look the item up in their system! It usually is! With many titles you can literally cut and paste from their item description into the search tool and it will not find it![:P] )

A good place to start, and a good place to head to after you have located a title elsewhere for a price sanity check...

Yeah you do. You pay the $5.99 monthly and set up a que from which they send you a cd every month. As long as this is set up you can order anything you want. check out the prices on thier box sets. They also have a small selection of SACDs. Type SACD in the search and search by album title.