B&K amp with Yamaha Pre/Pro... Do you think it is worth doing?

RayoVac

I currently have a Yamaha 5790 that I purchased about a year ago.

I have RB-75s, RC-7, RS-7s and run a SVS PC+ 20-39. The HT area

of my room is approximately 20x30. I have been contemplating an

Amp to use with the 5790... and have been looking at trying to find a

used B&K AV 125.5.

My question is this:

Given the power of the Yammi and my setup... do you feel there will be

a discernible difference to be realized using the B&K either for

LCR and letting the Yammi run the surrounds or using it for all

channels? The system is 98% HT, and I like to FEEL and hear

my movies, so yes... I like it loud. When I do listen to music on

this system it is at reference levels... the Yammi gets REAL hot and

seems a bit anemic.

I guess I am wondering if you do think the B&K AV 125.5 would be a

good move... will it be enough over what the Yammi does for me?

Or should I be looking at an amp pushing 200wpc @ 8ohms?

Realistically I think I can swing a B&K AV 125.5 if I find the

right deal on a used one... something bigger might be a stretch.

I guess my other thought would be to trade up to a Denon 4306 or the

new Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXI. I am leaning towards trying to get into separates though.

Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

If Home Theater is your main reason I would do it. I basically did the same thing with a different B&K ( st_140) amp and receiver ( I think one of my many Harmans). I will never forget the first time I viewed a movie on regular tv at that. It was Cold Mountain. What it did for my center channel was worth the upgrade for that. Also B&K out of all the amps and receivers I've tried brings out high end detail that is sweet ( never fatiguing/ headache) I never knew my speakers had them extended highs ( or were even capable of). I noticed the piano sounded so realistic, and the horse's galloping was right on. All of this on regular satallite, and synergy speakers. One thing though when I went to listen to music it showed up how crummy my pre was or the source player ( dvd player at the time). Not sure which it was, but radio blew me away on vocals ( specifically Scott Weiland/ Velvet revolver- fall to pieces), and classical music. I don't think you can go wrong with this choice. I want another one now just talking about it. I hope this helped I wasn't blown away by the bass, but that's what your SVS is for. B&K does highs, and mids like a champ. I think if you get this amp you can upgrade to a dedicated Home theater preamp down the road instead of wasting more money on a receiver. Just my opinion. I just bought another new receiver sent it back. I am going seperates next time. Not wasting another dime on a receiver unless I can get a realy good deal on a used B&K, or rotel receiver. In the end do what your gut tells you. You will either learn from your mistakes, or you will be much happier because you got what you wanted all along.

Hey RayoVac, I recommend going separates and save a little more and get something that has 200 wpc. Buy the amp now and then upgrade the reciever to a pre-amp later . Right now I got a 200 wpc rotel in and am using it with my HK reciever. You can hear the clarity at higher volumes. My HK still gets warm though. This is my first time going towards separate. and I am liking it so far. LOL

RayoVac wrote,

"I like to FEEL and hear my movies, so yes... I like it loud."

Here's a suggestion for you that won't break the bank. Yamaha PC2002M, you can buy 2 or 3 of them to power all of your speakers. Here's a link to one. There's 3 on Ebay right now. I'm adding a link to a PDF with the specs for you to take a look at as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-PC2002M-Professional-Series-Power-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ7361955923QQcategoryZ23787QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/amp/PC2002E.pdf

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I bit the bullet and bough a B&K 125.5. I know ultimately I

will probably want a 200.5 or 200.7 but they are out of my budget for

now. I figure this is a good start and I can always use it for a

second zone etc. down the road or just sell it as they seem to hold

their value well.

I was really debating Outlaws, Rotels and Sunfire... but I had to buy

"unheard"... out of all the comments I could find it seemed there were

very few negatives with the B&K gear. I figure I bought my

SVS site unseen.... how bad can this move be? LOL

So now my bigger problem... I really like that Reference 50 Processor... hehehehehehe... I need to find a money tree!

Once I get it all setup and give it a listen, I will post some opinions on how it compares to the Yamaha 5790s amp.

Thanks again,

Rayo